Durabak

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
bookseeb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Durabak

Post by bookseeb »

Has anybody used Durabak on their boats, be it seats, inside hull, outside hull, etc. I have a V12 that I'm about ready to paint and wondering if extra protection in certain areas with Durabak is worth the money or not?

Bobs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bobs »

Hi

I just used durabak on the floor in my GF14. This is really nice stuff.I put on 4 thin coats and it looks great. Get them to send you a color sample because the pictures on the web don't really match the product.

Bob

ggracer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Durabak

Post by ggracer »

Neat looking stuff: Question from a lazy builder :roll: : Any reason to not coat the entire topsides with this stuff, leaving the nicely finished paint for the boat sides? Seems like it would provide a nice, easily applied finish that's resistant to sun, non-skid, and would not require perfect surface prep....

Thanks!

Glen

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

Bobs wrote:Hi

I just used durabak on the floor in my GF14. This is really nice stuff.I put on 4 thin coats and it looks great. Get them to send you a color sample because the pictures on the web don't really match the product.

Bob
Did you get 4 coats from a gallon? Did you only do the floor? How do you mask it off?

Bobs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bobs »

Hi Steven

Yes, I got 4 coats from one gallon with a little under a quart left over. I only did the 2 floor sections in the gf14 not under the seats but probably could have used the extra for 1 coat there. I masked with blue painters tape. You will love this stuff, it also comes in smooth but in fewer colors. Make sure you get what they call durabak 18. It is UV resistant the regular one is not.

Bob

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Can you post a closeup of the texture? Is it easy to clean fishing and other boat grime out of the texture? Thanks for the warning to get the UV version of the product. :)

ks

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I used a similar product on my GF 16, and several previous boats, and docks, with great success. It's called Evercoat Skid-No-More. Very durable, cleans up easy enough with a brush (not a rag) and best of all it is a great nonskid. Much better than any sand in paint mix. Function over beauty. It only comes in gray and they say you can tint it with their special tint, but I've always just painted over it whatever color I wanted it to be. Not much is slicker than coastal river mud on a wet deck. This stuff really works and it holds up well too. Here is a link.......

http://evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Steven

Post by Steven »

Bobs wrote:Hi Steven

Yes, I got 4 coats from one gallon with a little under a quart left over. I only did the 2 floor sections in the gf14 not under the seats but probably could have used the extra for 1 coat there. I masked with blue painters tape. You will love this stuff, it also comes in smooth but in fewer colors. Make sure you get what they call durabak 18. It is UV resistant the regular one is not.

Bob
A couple more questions if you don't mind. I'm going to use this, and since it's all or nothing once opened, I want to have my ducks in a row.

1) How do you remove the tape? Seems like you couldn't pull it loose for a good edge, since the material is a thick solid when cured.

2) Did you brush or roll? I'll have to do both, since I'll be doing stringers as well as flat bottom panels. Any tips would be appreciated.

3) I'll be standing on my seats for fishing. Would the finish be uncomfortable on a seating surface?

Steven

Post by Steven »

Cracker Larry wrote:I used a similar product on my GF 16, and several previous boats, and docks, with great success. It's called Evercoat Skid-No-More. Very durable, cleans up easy enough with a brush (not a rag) and best of all it is a great nonskid. Much better than any sand in paint mix. Function over beauty. It only comes in gray and they say you can tint it with their special tint, but I've always just painted over it whatever color I wanted it to be. Not much is slicker than coastal river mud on a wet deck. This stuff really works and it holds up well too. Here is a link.......

I reviewed the info on this and it is interesting. How difficult is the application?

Steven

Post by Steven »

Steven wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:I used a similar product on my GF 16, and several previous boats, and docks, with great success. It's called Evercoat Skid-No-More. Very durable, cleans up easy enough with a brush (not a rag) and best of all it is a great nonskid. Much better than any sand in paint mix. Function over beauty. It only comes in gray and they say you can tint it with their special tint, but I've always just painted over it whatever color I wanted it to be. Not much is slicker than coastal river mud on a wet deck. This stuff really works and it holds up well too. Here is a link.......

I reviewed the info on this and it is interesting. How difficult is the application?

Does it go on fairly thick.