ply

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
rhayeswilliams
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

ply

Post by rhayeswilliams »

I'm having some trouble finding the building materials locally. My local supplier says his distributor doesn't know what Meranti BS1088 is. Is this common? Or should I just buy it off the WWW. Just trying to give some business to the locals
Last edited by rhayeswilliams on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ply

Post by pee wee »

I thought that I'd have an easy time finding the full spectrum of marine plywood in my area (South Georgia coast), but marine fir is about all they stock, and the prices are high. When I order my ply for my first build I'm probably going to get it from Boat Builders Central (Bateau), hopefully I can arrange a commercial location to have it delivered and save some shipping cost. I figured a big market like Atlanta might have suppliers that stock marine ply, but it doesn't seem like it. I found some boat builders that were willing to sell me ply, but by the time they pay shipping and mark it up, I come out better to order my own. I found the prices at this site really quite good, and I don't mind helping support a worthy enterprise. Good materials are worth the cost, and the support is free- a great deal in my book.
Hank

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Benny Howard »

PeeWee, I found the same thing about the ply. Not much in the ATL area, just some marine fir. Ordered 18 sheets from the site for my xf20 and thought I might need a sheet of 1/4 later on but could only find fir here. If you need a commercial address to ship to contact me, I'm on the southside. I have since, ordered other supplies and shopped around. My suggestion is get it from Jacque.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

There is nothing in the Savannah, Beaufort or Charleston area either. I get everything from Bateau. Great quality, great service and good prices.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I looked around Augusta, Atl, Columbia, and Charleston. I couldn't find anything that equaled the quality and prices here. Great product, great company, and perfect customer service. Save yourself any future doubt and buy the good stuff from here. It'll be cheaper than rebuilding/fixing the boat later.

Here's a picture of the plywood that was shipped to me. This stuff is just beautiful 8) It's just too bad I had to cover it in fiberglass.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

rhayeswilliams
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rhayeswilliams »

How much does shipping run for commercial deliver
y

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Where are you in the Lowcountry?

It's roughly $100 to Savannah. Doesn't matter if it's 1 sheet or 10.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Michaelz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Michaelz »

In the Atlanta area you can ordinarily find BS-graded meranti plywood in multiple widths at Atlanta Hardwoods, just inside I-285 on the west side of town.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

pee wee wrote: I found the prices at this site really quite good, and I don't mind helping support a worthy enterprise. Good materials are worth the cost, and the support is free- a great deal in my book.
It cost 130.00 to (commercial) ship my ply to Greenville, NC.

One thing no one has mentioned is that the sale of products from BBC is what keeps this website, and all of the sub-forums within it, up and running :wink:

rhayeswilliams
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rhayeswilliams »

Thanks for the information. Im just going to order it here then.