Door material?

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Door material?

Post by fallguy1000 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:10 pm That’s nice looking lumber. 8)
Do you have an old school radial arm saw?
The safest way to cut the tenon is on a radial arm saw.
Crank up the blade to the correct height, set a stop and make multiple passes. Flip and repeat, easy.
BTW, If you cut the tenon on the table saw, be friggen careful. It’s dangerous if you don’t have a great grasp of table saws.
Quick demo while I was drinking my morning coffee lol...

5EDE4CD5-C9AB-4E88-9B23-E48E76CD4CD1.jpeg

1E71F79E-3ED6-4EE8-8F50-4101F9E7815B.jpeg

855DBE77-C85F-43B8-896F-5B9CC850433C.jpeg

1D1F156B-7E10-41B5-8B98-6F4C1E0FCD1A.jpeg
I actually do have an old radial arm saw and I have a dado set for the table saw that I can fly on the radial arm as well (just gotta stand off to one side in case a tooth goes). I would never cut the tenon on the table saw. That move is against my religion. I don't have a sled either.

And I am well honed on saw safety. I worked in milling at Andersen Windows for about 12 years. I am a master of the cutoff saw; don't ask. I worked as a glorified slave on Weinig's and I forget who made the fancy as hell tenoners. I also worked on a wartime Mattison moulder. I also was an offbearer on a laser operated Portland Rip Saw that had like 4-6 blades that moved based on laser lines set by the operator. That is where I learned to work like a fucker. My body still aches from those days I am quite sure and that is how I wore out the hip as well. I can tell you there were two guys in the plant faster than me. Harold and Oly, both operators. But fast did a number on my joints. Running two four inch boards 16' long at inch and 9 thickness as fast as you can is not for the weak.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Gotcha, this won’t be your first rodeo as we say down here. No worries now about you losing a finger.
The saw in my demo pics is actually pretty safe, if you make a mistake its got a built in safety feature.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:47 am The saw in my demo pics is actually pretty safe, if you make a mistake its got a built in safety feature.
Saw stop?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Yes, sawstop. The biggest commercial model they make.
I really need to buy jobsite portable version.
We’ve had one confirmed finger save about 3 years ago.
One worker was watching another cutting a panel. The saw operator stuck his thump directly into the whirring 10x60 tcp blade.
It blew the blade brake and he nicked his thumb about like a minor paper cut...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 pm Yes, sawstop. The biggest commercial model they make.
One worker was watching another cutting a panel. The saw operator stuck his thump directly into the whirring 10x60 tcp blade.
Then it's worth every penny. If I ever get a real shop again I'll get one. Too old to grow a new finger.

Thanks!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 pm Yes, sawstop. The biggest commercial model they make.
I got the sawstop jobsite saw during my build. I only have room for a jobsite saw and it seems to be one of the most accurate and easy to use. The safety feature is a huge bonus for me, but the capability as a saw was my primary motivation. I've had great luck with it for the past ~2 years.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Jaysen, yes get one when you can! Fantastic saw and great customer support.

Joe, thanks for the review of the job site model. I really need to get one. When the shop SawStop saved my guy’s thumb, it was estimated by SawStop at the time to prevent a medical bill and lost time cost of $64k. Probably more like $100k now.
One thing I can say though, not all table saw injuries are cuts. I had a wicked injury around 2000 from a kick back. The 3/4” triangular piece of oak I was cutting kicked back and entered my right hand between the pointer and bird finger. It stopped about half way to my wrist. Lot of bone trauma, still better than an amputation...
Richard