What Type of Material for a Boat Build?

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Rollbar1
New Poster
New Poster

What Type of Material for a Boat Build?

Post by Rollbar1 »

I have several plans in stock and trying to decide which boat I want to build (16'-18' Flats/Bay Boat).
The plans call for plywood/plywood on frame for some plans, and stitch-n-glue for others.
I can buy other plans if needed or design my own (I think).
I really don't want to use wood.
So what material can I use and glass over, or is there a special procedure I will have to do?
Thanks, new builder, but have the time to work the material into what it needs to be if the coast isn't to high.
JB
Ascend FS128T "The Yacht" with a MotorGuide 30lb TM.
Upcoming: Sabine 19'x6'5" Flats Boat build.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: What Type of Material for a Boat Build?

Post by Jaysen »

You are looking for foam composite. Look at fallguy1000 build of a woods 32. It is not a trivial undertaking and is fraught with lots of learning that could get expensive.

What is the concern with glass over wood?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Most of what you describe about calls for foam core instead of plywood core. The plans will need to take the change into account, as you need to use a different lamination schedule. You can't just replace plywood with foam and build as is. You can get some foam core plans here I think.

That said, you also say "as long as the cost isn't too high" and the cost of foam core will be significantly higher than plywood core I believe. The material itself is more expensive and you need more fiberglass and epoxy. You could also do a single fiberglass skin hull with no "sandwich" but then you need a mold, so probably not great for a homebuild.

If you want a boat that doesn't have a wood core and cost important I might look at buying a used production boat, you can still rebuild the interior if you want a custom layout. Note stringers and other structure will be wood anyway on a lot of production boats. For a cheap homebuild you are back to plywood core.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Composites have come down a lot in recent years. You can get 3/4" Carbon Core 4x8 sheets for about $60, which is much better then the $110 a sheet okoume will cost. The plans need to be made for it as the frames need to be much closer, maybe 18", then the 3' standard here on most plans. I did some rough math a year or so ago, and going with foam core along with 2 layers of biaxial and a 6oz woven topper, would have added less then $600 to the basic build all said and done if memory serves.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You can build any of the plans here out of Divinycell but the designer would have to provide the core and glass specs. If you are thinking of one of the honeycomb materials they are great for decks and other uses but they are not for hulls, stringers or bulkheads.

Rollbar1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rollbar1 »

Ok thank you all.
Good info.
I'll look into it some more and if I do go w/out the wood then I would have to get with the designer and not sure they will convert for me.
We will see but doesn't look hopeful.
JB
Ascend FS128T "The Yacht" with a MotorGuide 30lb TM.
Upcoming: Sabine 19'x6'5" Flats Boat build.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I would really suggest that you go for wood. Weight for weight it would be stronger than anything else in that size and price range, and epoxy and glass sorts the rot issue. Especially if you trailer it and leave it well ventilated in storage.