VHF antenna restore

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

VHF antenna restore

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have two old vhf antennas, both are the perfect size for the Skoota.

Both 8' long or so.

One is clearly older and thicker than the other, and its cabling is all shot. Does thicker just mean stronger or is there a reception gain?

Anyone ever restore these?

I can afford a new one, but they are like $200 and I have two!
8CBB6A21-159D-495E-AB46-A8F4E207B528.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Re: VHF antenna restore

Post by fallguy1000 »

Can you measure them in anyway?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

In my CB radio days you had to mount the antenna where it would be at and then measure the effectiveness of the whole system with a SWR meter.

Looks like one, if not both, of the for sure is a Shakespeare, contact Shakespeare and check with them. Local boat club would have a few HAM operators members, I bet, and they could also tell you about them. HAM Operator would even know how to test them and have the test equipment to do so.

Oh, thickness doesn't matter, it's the length that gets the signal out better.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fallguy I don't know if I would use either of those. As you say the wire on the right one is cracked and broken and would cost a lot to replace at todays wire prices. The one on the left looks to have a cracked ferrule and I would not trust it. A new antenna is only $79 - 179 and will last you as long as that beautiful boat. Some even allow a splitter for AM/FM radio :lol: . https://www.westmarine.com/vhf-antennas There are of course other vendors.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

This is off Shakespeare's website, you may need a longer ant anyway.
https://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/antenna-selector/

The place I got the best price on my VHF/GPS/chartplotter and stereo was here. They also had all the odds and ends like flush mounts for each unit

https://www.thegpsstore.com/

Even after you get everything mounted. I would find someone that can test how well your radio works. Doesn't take much to have really good operation verses something that doesn't reach to far.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am like 20 feet above the water with an 8' antenna. Anything longer doesn't close down onto the cabin, so for now, until I move to Texas, not gonna go bigger.

A 16' antenna is going to be 28' above the water.

The db gain is less an issue on a catamaran.