Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival 2006

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival 2006

Post by Rick »

It's this weekend. I know at least three of us are going to be there (Evan?).

How about meeting at some obvious place like the Woodworking Stage at some easy time like 1pm on Saturday? I will be there with a very thin 17-year-old kid in an aloha shirt and will be pushing a black wheelchair with a semi-mobile boat nut in it.

My cell phone is four two five four six six four five four three.

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

I think I'll be going on Saturday, too.

I was thinking about seeing the "How to Fiberglass Like a Pro" at the woodworking stage during that time to see what I should have done, so that seems like a good place and time to meet.

I'll be there with my wife (of less than a month). Look for the guy with long blonde curly hair, glasses, and a ring with a D5 on it accompanied by a bored looking woman.

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

jeremy wrote: I'll be there with my wife (of less than a month). Look for the guy with long blonde curly hair, glasses, and a ring with a D5 on it accompanied by a bored looking woman.
jeez that describes half the crowd... :P

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

kiwi wrote:
jeremy wrote: I'll be there with my wife (of less than a month). Look for the guy with long blonde curly hair, glasses, and a ring with a D5 on it accompanied by a bored looking woman.
jeez that describes half the crowd... :P

Tony
You're right. I left out that I also have a goatee.

:)

glcost
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by glcost »

I'll be there on Saturday too.

I'll be wearing a tan ball cap, with blue bill and says "Valley Rugby"

Okay, the woodworking stage at 1:00pm.
George C

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I won't be there, and I'll be wearing blue denim cargo pants with a one foot tear up the left side, and various blotches of cured epoxy on the right leg.

Enjoy the show!

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

I wont be there either but wishing I was...............
The only show I got to this year was St. Michael's MD and I was dissapointed, mostly mahagony runabouts
Daddy

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

We drove down to Biloxi this weekend to meet some family. I was listening to Public Radio. It was a show called West Coast Live and they were broadcasting from the Port Townsend Woodenboat Festival. I thought it was a strange coincidence since I had been reading about it in this thread.

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

I missed Jeremy, but George and I finally met up at the SystemThree tent during the schooner race. (The schooner race ruled!!3! It was the only wind of the day, but it got there in time for the big dogs to run.) George (glcost) is a remarkable thoughtful, nice guy who has a Bartender 19 in addition to his partly-completed C17. It was a genuine pleasure chatting with him, and I look forward to the flip party for his C17. It looks like Evan forgot to come again this year.

Random observations from the show:

1. Length only has a little bit to do with how big a boat is. I re-learn this lesson every couple of years or so. This year, it was from visiting an exquisite Redwing 27 (just launched) and, three boats down, a Ken Hankinson designed 28-foot motor cruiser. Even though the Hankinson is only a foot longer, it must have at least twice as much living space. The Redwing is a big camp-cruiser (sort of) and the Hankinson is a real cruiser. Both are owner-built and very nice. The Redwing was stunning -- the builder was really careful and painted it with Stirling paint. A lot of folks thought it was a brand-new factory fiberglass boat. The owner says the finish is so nice and shiny that a lot of people don't believe it's home-built at first.

2. Sam Devlin builds really nice boats. If you want to pay for a boat, call Sam and bring LOTS of money. A 3-year-old Sockeye 45 was for sale at the show for $825,000. The boat is perfect, and I am more than a little afraid that it might be worth that much.

3. Devlin's Czarrina 35 has a nice internal layout. It might contribute to the TW34 discussions as an inspiration for cabin layout. The one I saw is powered by a pair of 27HP Yanmars -- kind of an interesting way to power a 35-foot cruiser. The Black Crown 29 is a good-looking boat, too, although it's more of a 15-25 knot boat than a displacement cruiser.

4. I didn't see any Mertens boats this year. Sorry.

5. The Welsford Navigator looks nice in person. I still think I'd prefer a CK17, though.

6. Did I mention that I'd like you all to pitch in and buy me that Devlin Sockeye 45? Send your money to...

7. All wooden boats are for sale.

8. I saw my first Bolger Chebacco in person. It is a really nice looking boat -- proof that Bolger doesn't just draw weird-looking box boats. The bow and line of the sheer are especially nice.

The show is a lot of fun. You should go if you can.

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up. I was at the woodworking stage at 1 and I even saw someone pushing a black wheelchair, but the guy looked very confused when I asked him if he was Rick.

I forgot to jot down your cell phone number, sorry.

I looked for tan ball caps with blue bills and saw thousands of them. I never found one that said valley rugby, though.

I stopped looking at price tags when I noted that even the smallest was well outside my price range.

That Sockeye was nice...