Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by Prarie Dog »

Cracker Larry wrote:Mr. Prudhomme has a nice looking yak!
It is a real nice looking Yak and Canoe, he also has two other small boats that are all beautifully built. The ceiling of his garage is covered with small boats hanging on pulleys and ropes..... Will relay the compliment. :D

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Happy Father's Day Barra

Post by BarraMan »

Fished The Hinchinbrook Channel for Father's Day!

Water temp 25o C.

Broke the Barra drought with a 64 cm fish that fell for my good old gold Bomber!

Dropped a bigger one that threw my vibe lure back at me - damn!

Chucked a lure about 20 times at a BIG Barra that was swimming along the edge of a creek - but it had the "ignore" button held firmly down - bugger!.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Nice work Lee!! 8)

They can't resist the twitch, twitch, pause of a gold bomber can they :wink:

Have you fished with soft plastics much over there.

I was out in Darwin harbour a 2 weeks ago and we boated 12 barra (5 legal) and dropped another half a dozen. These were all caught on soft plastics. Mostly with Z-man MinnowZ 3" in the "space guppy" and "pearl" patterns, rig them weedless and throw them right in the timber.

Handturkey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Handturkey »

Howdy y'all,

I'm not sure if a lot of you know who I am, but if you're familiar with Aripeka Angler (he's my dad) than you might know me. For those of you who don't know who i am; my name's Harrison Grimes and I'm currently studying Marine Biology with a minor in geology at Florida Gulf Coast University. Recently, four of us received word that we would possibly be getting a sponsorship to make a movie about fishing around Florida. My roommate happens to be the Guy Harvey/Aftco Rep of the year (two years running). We sent a proposal into Guy Harvey/Aftco during this past summer for a sponsorship for a 12-16 day trip around Florida's fishing hotspots. They responded by sending down Chris's supervisor to see what we could do. He flew down to Florida and visited us and asked us, "put me on a snook no matter the size."

We took him out and needless to say this 38" slob was enough...
(John on the left is also going on the trip, the Aftco supervisor on the right)

He shook our hands and agreed to fully sponsor our trip this winter. Now, what are we doing for this trip? I thought you'd never ask. We're deciding between 12 and 16 days depending on certain circumstances, but as of right now: Our first stop might be "the Everglades" we haven't found a camp site for northwest side of the Everglades but if we can we might consider adding a couple days to fish for tarpon and snook in the backwaters up there. The three main spots we will be stopping (we think) will be Flamingo, Islamorada, and Mosquito Lagoon. We are looking for camp sites in Flamingo and Mosquito Lagoon at the moment. We already have a place to stay in Islamorada.

Now why am I ranting and raving about this trip? Well because we want to make a badass movie about four friends traveling Florida with Gheenoes fishing for tarpon, redfish, snook, permit, bonefish, and whatever else we can get into. Guy Harvey and Aftco already agreed to share our movie/videos on their facebook, website, instagram and other social media sites. We already have gotten a sponsorship by Yeti who sent us some apparel, stickers, etc for our trip. We received the nod on another sponsor as well by the name of Flounder's Flies who will be tying all of our flies for the trip. And we also are currently talking to GoPro and Skinny Water Culture as well. A cool thing about all of our sponsorship apparel etc for the trip, we're taking it and donating it to the JMW annual fishing tournament. Last year we lost a fellow student, avid fisherman, and close friend and we (his friends) put together a fishing tournament in 2 monthes and raised almost $6,000 to give to his family who inherited his student loans. So this year we're taking apparel and stuff given to us by these sponsors and donating them to Jesse's annual tournament making our sponsors not only supporting us and marketing themselves in our trip, but also they're getting further acknowledgement at the tournament in February.

But personally, the coolest part of our trip is that if we get enough views and hype about our video, this could turn our four dreams into a reality. All of us going on the trip (two marine biology majors, one environmental science major, and one marketing major who wants to guide when he graduates) want to do something in the fish(ing) field. And Guy Harvey/Aftco told us that if this trip is cool enough we will get the nod on another (bigger) trip this summer. And perhaps help us all along our career paths further down the road.

So, if any of you know of any - campsites in the aforementioned locations, guides around there who would be willing to talk to us or even take us out if they're given the proper exposure, or fishing/boating/apparel companies who you think would be interested in sponsoring our trip please let me know!

And thank you for reading that book I just wrote. :lol:
Listen to me, your body is not a temple. Temples can be destroyed and desecrated. Your body is a forest- thick canopies of maple trees and sweet scented wildflowers sprouting in the under wood. You will grow back, over and over no matter how badly you are devastated.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Double thumbs up to you Harrison. You are your Dad's son for sure. Cracker Built Boats is in on the sponsorship. I ain't got Yeti or Guy Harvey money but we can support a good cause :D Got a Paypal account?
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Is that what you guys call a common snook (Centropomus undecimalis)

Interesting!

Looks very similar to the mulloway or jew fish (Argyrosomus japonicus) from Eastern Australia

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Have you fished with soft plastics much over there.
Justin, I have not had much luck with soft plastics, apart from vibes such as Threadybusters. I'll give your suggestion a go! :D
Last edited by BarraMan on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Lee, not the best pics, but you can get the drift of how I rig them.

I use a 3/0 worm hook with the flat part of hook sitting in between the two fins on top (so it is weedless) and a small been sinker in the loop.

Then you can throw it right into the lilies, timber, etc....worry about getting them out after you have hooked them :lol:

Let me know if you have any success or need any more tips on these lures.

Cheers
Justin.

Handturkey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Handturkey »

BarraMan wrote: Is that what you guys call a common snook (Centropomus undecimalis)

Interesting!

Looks very similar to the mulloway or jew fish (Argyrosomus japonicus) from Eastern Australia
Yeah, thats the common snook and it does look very similar. Very cool fish. Its always very interesting to see the genetic variation between fish from different continents that have similarities. I always thought the barramundi looked like our snook. :)
Cracker Larry wrote:Double thumbs up to you Harrison. You are your Dad's son for sure. Cracker Built Boats is in on the sponsorship. I ain't got Yeti or Guy Harvey money but we can support a good cause :D Got a Paypal account?
Haha no Cracker we don't have a paypal account set up. We haven't really accepted any monetary support yet, but I'll talk to the guys and we'll figure something out if you're willing to help!
Last edited by Handturkey on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listen to me, your body is not a temple. Temples can be destroyed and desecrated. Your body is a forest- thick canopies of maple trees and sweet scented wildflowers sprouting in the under wood. You will grow back, over and over no matter how badly you are devastated.

crackedconch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crackedconch »

My hat's to you guys for such an endeavor!!! It's very impressive to see young people taking such ambition to do something so worthy. With that said, talk to Kent Hickman with Breathe Like A Fish. He usually gets involved with stuff like this, plus he's in with the Skinny Water Culture guys. If you're in the Tampa area this weekend, he should be at the Florida Sportsman Expo at the fair grounds.

As for camping, I wouldn't camp in Flamingo this time of year. One word......MOSQUITOS!!!!!! They'll eat you alive! Usually no one camps there until it starts to cool down. Islamorada camping, try Long Key State Park. I think it's like $40 per night and you're right on the water.

Good luck with your adventure and I look forward to keeping up with you progress........Tight lines!!!!!!