Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Handturkey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by Handturkey »

Its been a pretty strange winter down in Fort Myers at least weather wise.. But the fishing has not disappointed.

The tarpon have been sticking around and are always fun on light tackle.

Overslot reds are abundant in the creeks and backwaters, this one drug me 1/4 mile

My two buddies caught 33 reds the other day, 15 on fly. They're everywhere :help:

And these stupid things finally got taken off the endangered species list, thank god.. There are way too many of them.
Listen to me, your body is not a temple. Temples can be destroyed and desecrated. Your body is a forest- thick canopies of maple trees and sweet scented wildflowers sprouting in the under wood. You will grow back, over and over no matter how badly you are devastated.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice pics Harrison 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

What he said ^^
Nice Red.
I may be opening a can of worms here but you don't like Seacows? I have traveled through canals next to power plants and they were thick (winter) - I was using my trolling motor and the locals were idling quite high through the "pack" and flipped me off when I pointed out the manatees, like they are a nuisance to them. Sure I had to go real slow to my destination but it was mesmerizing to have them almost climb into the back of my boat.

Checking out everything on the back of the boat

I used the trolling motor to get out of the area and checked out the rear of my boat to make sure all was clear and I started my motor - holy moly, just about had one jump into my boat, scared it so bad (and me).

My $.02

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I think they're cool. They don't bother me any. I'm never in a hurry on the water unless I'm trying to beat the rain...A lot of people have the same mentality in their boats as they do in their cars... :doh:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Had a great family vacation last week in Costa Rica - 3rd time there. We were just south of a small town called Quepos on the Pacific coast, next to Manuel Antonio Park. Tropical Rainforest - very cool. Got out fishing with a couple locals then did an offshore full day charter with the family.

Just out in front of the resort around the rocks:

Caught and released 5 sailfish, then came in early as my wife and daughter were starting to feel pretty green... Dreamed of doing this since I was a boy !

My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Costa Rica has got to be one of the coolest places in this hemisphere. So many neat things to do, so much good fishing. Manuel Antonio park is one of the best nature hikes we've ever had. Unreal wildlife and scenery. A lot of good people down there too. It may end up being our permanent residence.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

So you have been there CL? Very cool. It is definitely one of the neatest places on the planet, and the people are wonderful. We were staying at Arenas Del Mar, just at the north end of the beach that borders the park to the north. The first two pictures were from the rocks just south of the park. My first time in a Panga. Great little boat for inshore. The sailfish were 25 miles out.... that was on a 40' Luhrs. Great crew. I didn't realise how much gear you drag for billfish.... or how fast the crew get 10 rods and outriggers with umbrella rigged teaser in when you hook one.

Dang stinking Canadian dollar killed me tho.
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

Handturkey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Handturkey »

Rickk wrote:What he said ^^
Nice Red.
I may be opening a can of worms here but you don't like Seacows? I have traveled through canals next to power plants and they were thick (winter) - I was using my trolling motor and the locals were idling quite high through the "pack" and flipped me off when I pointed out the manatees, like they are a nuisance to them. Sure I had to go real slow to my destination but it was mesmerizing to have them almost climb into the back of my boat.

Checking out everything on the back of the boat

I used the trolling motor to get out of the area and checked out the rear of my boat to make sure all was clear and I started my motor - holy moly, just about had one jump into my boat, scared it so bad (and me).

My $.02

I honestly have no problem with manatees at all. I actively try to obey all zones as far as idling through areas where they are abundant and present goes. But FWC shuts down Estero Bay (my home-waters) down to motoring during a substantial portion of the year. Most of the area they're shutting down is <1ft of water during mid to low tides and is habitually <1-2.5ft during high tide. It's incredibly frustrating to attempt to fish these vast areas of tidal flats (where im looking for tarpon, snook and redfish) when we cant plane through most of the unfishable 1ft deep water near the front of the bay. I do understand the need to have these areas marked and patrolled due to the ignorance of many tourists and uninformed boaters, I just wish there was stipulations that involved local anglers being able to use faster speeds in these areas since there are NO manatees in less than 24 inches of water. Thats the only problem i have with the buggers. I'd never actively attempt to hurt one though, and I love videographing them when I do encounter them (which is all the time) when im looking for tarpon in the bay pictured above where I'm jumping that tarpon.
Listen to me, your body is not a temple. Temples can be destroyed and desecrated. Your body is a forest- thick canopies of maple trees and sweet scented wildflowers sprouting in the under wood. You will grow back, over and over no matter how badly you are devastated.

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

:|
Last edited by Dog Fish on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

MarkOrge wrote:Had a great family vacation last week in Costa Rica - 3rd time there. We were just south of a small town called Quepos on the Pacific coast, next to Manuel Antonio Park. Tropical Rainforest - very cool.
Your sailfish photo brings back great memories of our time in Costa Rica several years ago...
We stayed in the same general area as you did and fished out of the Quepos.
We caught a bunch of big sails, several dolphin and a wahoo. Good times.
I just looked at a recent internet photo of the Quepos harbor.
I don't remember the c-shaped marina in front of municipal dock. Is that new?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146