Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Epic adventures!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:57 pm Epic adventures!
X2 That sounds like one great trip.
The cost to repair what broke would not bother me but paying for the damage the tow company did would piss me off.

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Great Road Trip.
I will never complain about my 2.5 hour drive to Cape Cod from North of Boston Mass. again.
Really great fish!
Rover1

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Thanks for all the words of support!
I've booked a cabin at King Ash Bay in November 2021, in the hope of repeating the great fishing trip - hopefully without the drama. :lol:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Some more video from my last fishing trip.

https://youtu.be/R5y1dw-4gOo

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice catch!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Nice to be able to catch fish and not have tons of people swarming around you. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:22 pm Nice to be able to catch fish and not have tons of people swarming around you. :D
Indeed - at 60+nm from the nearest boat ramp, we were the only boat in that river on two consecutive days and one of only a handful of boats within a 30 nm radius. A guy we met at our base camp fished that river (or tried to) 3 years earlier and was one of 17 boats.

A cyclone (hurricane) went through there in 2018 and destroyed a bush camp that gave riverbank launching directly into that river, so that option is no longer available - not that it was ever an option for a boat the size of mine. A 60+ nm, 2.5 - 3.0 hr run each way as the only access for us.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

When running that far and no other boats around do you have any sort of back up power?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:34 am When running that far and no other boats around do you have any sort of back up power?
Fuzz, your question is a good one! I have contemplated mounting a Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust kicker on the back but my fishing mate who is a highly experienced O/B mechanic, ex-profisher, skipper and now manages a Yamaha dealership says its not necessary given the reliability of modern, well maintained 4-stroke outboards.

My reasons for thinking about a kicker is not only to provide back up power for the boat, but to also recharge the batteries for the 112lb Minn Kota trolling motor when we spend several days away from mains power. To that end, I currently carry a small petrol (gas) generator. The combination of the generator/batteries/trolling motor would allow for recovery of the boat provided there were no strong currents to overcome as the trolling motor pushes the boat along at 4 kts - a slow trip back to the ramp but probably doable. Certainly enough to get us too some sheltered spot to wait for help! :D

However, the above does not meet my risk assessment requirements for such a trip to a very remote place. The fallback is that we are friends with the guy who runs gas station/car/boat workshop back at the little fishing village that we use as a base on these trips. He knows the area very well and would come and tow us back if necessary. I can contact him either by VHF radio or satellite phone (which I always carry).

Worst-case last resort senario - fire the EPIRB and wait for someone to turn up! :help: We always have several days of food and water on board so there is no urgency and maybe we can catch a few more barra while we wait! :lol: