Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by BarraMan »

Looks like a fisherman has been taken by a crocodile at one of my favourite Barramundi fishing spots - Gayundah Ck on Hinchinbrook Is. Appears to be a yachtie as its a popular anchorage and he was fishing in an 8 ft tinnie which was found with croc teeth marks in it.

An 8 ft boat is too small for fishing in an area inhabited by 10+ ft crocs!

Don't go paddling in the pram if you are up that way later in the year Glossie!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I hate this for the person and the family. That had to have been a tough way to go. Having said that it is sort of like when a bear takes someone, they got to eat too. When man enters into apex predator territory sometimes he comes out second best. Just a couple days ago we had a brown bear come out of her den and get a skier. I am sure the skier do not know she was there but she had cubs and did what mommas do.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:28 pm I hate this for the person and the family. That had to have been a tough way to go. Having said that it is sort of like when a bear takes someone, they got to eat too. When man enters into apex predator territory sometimes he comes out second best. Just a couple days ago we had a brown bear come out of her den and get a skier. I am sure the skier do not know she was there but she had cubs and did what mommas do.
Indeed! The victim was from Nth Queensland and should have known better.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:30 pm Looks like a fisherman has been taken by a crocodile at one of my favourite Barramundi fishing spots - Gayundah Ck on Hinchinbrook Is. Appears to be a yachtie as its a popular anchorage and he was fishing in an 8 ft tinnie which was found with croc teeth marks in it.

An 8 ft boat is too small for fishing in an area inhabited by 10+ ft crocs!

Don't go paddling in the pram if you are up that way later in the year Glossie!
No way! When we're cruising Hinchinbrook waters in Great Sandy, and Zoe Bay or the stunning blue water wilderness anchorage just to its north are untenable due to strong south easterly trades, we retreat into the channel and sit it out in Paluma or Gayunda Ceeks. Over the years, we've probably spent ten plus weeks in them, and we've never got into Great Sandy's tender once while there! It disappoints me that the croc has been shot because a local who should have known better made himself available as croc food.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

For those, like me, who have built their 'forever' boat and are now putting it to good use, I think this site needs more fishing pics and adventures - so I thought I would continue my contributions by giving some details of my next planned trip.

I trust that at least some on here enjoy hearing about fishing in other parts of the world.

Here are some pics off Google Earth to set the scene of my upcoming adventure.

In addition, I recently hit one of those life milestones, and my family gave me a drone to play with in my dotage, so I should be able to illustrate the interesting remote part of the world in which I chase the iconic Barramundi (Lates calcarifer) - arguably the best all round sport fish species in the world! :D

I plan to spend the last week of April fishing on the west side of Cape York, north of the remote fishing village of Karumba. This is about 500 miles, and a good days' drive, from my home in north Queensland (Townsville). Karumba is the capital of the Gulf shrimp (prawns to us! 8O ) fishing industry.

My favourite barra fishing haunts are shown in the first pic - the Hinchinbrook Channel (shown as Gayundah Ck - site of a recent fatal crocodile attack), the Robinson R (where we boated 25 barra in a morning last November) and the McArthur R (where we have fished twice a year for the past 4 years).

What started me on my boat building journey was that I wanted a boat to fish van Diemen's Inlet, which is about 30 nm north of Karumba. Its a known BIG barra haunt! :help:
Last edited by BarraMan on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Not sure what happened there - double post! :doh:
Last edited by BarraMan on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Very good stuff. I like fishin more than just about anything.

Those barramundi are sure interesting.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Lee speaking for myself, and a lot of others I am sure, please keep posting your fishing adventures! I always enjoy what you post and it is great to learn about fishing in other parts of the world. I wish folks in other parts of the world would do likewise. I would do my part to keep this thread going but I have to wait for mother nature to give me a break.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

There is almost zero fishing here in April. Crappies spawn, but you gotta hit it perfect.

Gamefish are all closed until May 15.

I got a boat to build and have been floundering a bit.

:oops: :lol:
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Lee, if there is one thing I like as much as me fishing is hearing, is others telling about there fishing trips. So keep them coming. i won't be fishing for a while yet do to my hip and shoulder replacements. Got to get stronger.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978