Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by pee wee »

When I was a kid on a family vacation, my dad had his fishing pole with lure on it between the seats and the door of the station wagon, so it would be ready to go when he got there. My older brother (about 10 yrs. old) got the hook in his hand, so we stopped and my dad used the pliers to work the barb on through so he could cut it off and get the hook out. Watching that made my stomach queasy, so they bought me a Coke . . nothing for my brother! Sometimes life ain't fair. :D
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

pee wee wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:16 am When I was a kid on a family vacation, my dad had his fishing pole with lure on it between the seats and the door of the station wagon, so it would be ready to go when he got there. My older brother (about 10 yrs. old) got the hook in his hand, so we stopped and my dad used the pliers to work the barb on through so he could cut it off and get the hook out. Watching that made my stomach queasy, so they bought me a Coke . . nothing for my brother! Sometimes life ain't fair. :D
Does he still hold it against you?

Went halibut fishing today. Of course the wife got her limit and was happy. Nothing big but we have 50-60 pounds of fresh fillets so that part is good. You southern boys will laugh at this but it was 72, sunny and no wind today. Pretty sure the top of my head is sunburned :cry: :roll:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Getting sunburned on a winter day happens.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Went and did a little sockeye fishing today. Catch was about like out last silver trip but it all adds up :D
good news was no worry about sunburn today. 55f and raining :cry:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Adam in his new-to-him boat finally got some blood in it. Mostly bait blood and me stabbing myself. He did nab his first shark of eh-size (would take a bit of finger if you let it).
Adam and a bonnet head shark
Adam and a bonnet head shark
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

454E6DAE-C3F2-477B-A515-CA6CE1A1F610.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Beautiful fish!

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice FallGuy!!!! Great catch!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Very nice! Any details?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:16 pm Very nice! Any details?
Lake Superior Lake Trout

Sailed out of Taconite Harbor, never was more than a mile from the bay.

We got limits of trout and salmon and watched all the other boats go by us out in deeper water except one. Biting fish were tight to bottom 55-95 fow. Day and a half of work. It was a bit rough up until about this picture.

My oldest got pretty sick Friday, but did not puke.

Saturday, the winds were unexpectedly blowing back off a storm front from the south and some decent gusts and rollers, but less than Friday's nor'easter. About 11am, I told him I wanted to try for a reaction bite off the least windy spot on the island. The wind was changing from the west and blowin hard and the rollers were still coming from the south. Seas were 'confused' a bit.

I dropped a modified slab jig 68' to bottom which is a herring escape lure. The fish on the big lake are not too cooperative between 11-2 midday. Sometimes trigger bites work. The kid doubted me until I pulled up a 3# coho which is big enough to win a tournament there. The fish alarms were going crazy with lotsa fish in the area. I would have stayed, but Cal needed a potty break and I was a little weather beaten and wanted an hour at the dock.

This fish was probably 12-13# only. They get about twice that size, but I was only fishing 8# test and the fish dove several times; prolly not have landed one 6# more.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495