Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by BarraMan »

cape man wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:13 am How much fuel is in the boat? 120 nm plus two days of fishing is respectable!
400 L (105 US gal) - gives me a safe 200 nm range - 60 out, 60 back, 80 up my sleeve! :D

We use very little fuel while at our destination, spending most of our time on the Minn Kota.

cape man

Post by cape man »

One day I want to return on fumes. 8) Based on my last adventure it's about 130 miles. Might have to carry an extra can to test it... :help:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

A quick update! Spent the last week fishing - 102 barramundi boated in 5 days! Epic trip. More once I get home.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm A quick update! Spent the last week fishing - 102 barramundi boated in 5 days! Epic trip. More once I get home.
Sounds like great fun. Bit jealous.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

OK, so I am back from a great fishing trip to the Gulf of Carpentaria in the Northern Territory of Australia. A bit of a mixed bag - on the one hand it was the best barramundi fishing I have ever experienced, while on the other hand we had some dramas that threatened the whole trip from early on and still have not been completely resolved.

I thought those of you with a passion for fishing and building boats may like to hear what a 2,500 mile trip to a very remote area to fish, with a 22' modified Mangusta hull from this forum looks like.

THE PLAN!
1) I would drive my Land Rover Discovery 4 from my home in Townsville in Nth Queensland (blue dot on the right) with my 22' boat (f@#%ing Big Barra Boat) in tow and drive 560 miles to Mt Isa in the north-west of the State (yellow dot in the middle), pick up my son and a mate off a flight from Brisbane in the SE of Qld and continue the drive to what is known as the King Ash Fishing Club, a further 680 miles into the NT (green dot on the left) - for a week of barramundi fishing.

You can see the output from the GPS tracker on the boat, for the final part of the trip - too many data points to display it all!

We had a cabin booked at King Ash Bay (KAB) for the week but part of the plan was to run down river, out into the Gulf and then east to the Robinson River, which heard had good barra fishing. As that is a 66 nm run from the KAB boat ramp, the plan was to overnight on the boat in the Robbo R and then fish our way back to KAB the next day.

In order to provide some shelter on the boat, as November can be the start of the 'wet' season in northern Australia, and something to attach our croc protection mesh barrier to, I added some easily removable infrastructure to the boat to support a tarpaulin shelter (see pic below). I suspect that Jacques may be horrified with what I have done to his beautiful design, but its OK - it is sitting in rod holders and lifts right off! :D

The 560 mile drive to Mt Isa was an easy and uneventful 10 hrs - 2015 Land Rover Discovery (Disco) tows the boat effortlessly.

I over-nighted in a motel and was due to pick my fishing buddy up at the airport next morning. We were down to just two of us as my son had to cancel due to work issues. Imagine my surprise when next morning when the Disco would not come out of park! 8O

What a horror! It seemed like the fishing trip was to be cancelled. Mt Isa is a small, remote mining town and it soon became apparent that the road-side assistance contractor knew nothing about Discos, so it was soon on a truck back to Townsville and we were stuck in Mt Isa with a 22' boat and no vehicle. Fortunately we managed to rent a mine spec'd Landcruiser pickup that was equipped to tow the boat - so the trip was back on. It was lucky that my son had pulled out as the pickup only had two seats!

We had planned to drive straight through from Isa to KAB, but as we were now about 6 hrs behind schedule, we camped on the side of the road about half-way along and continued to KAB early the next morning.
Last edited by BarraMan on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Lee when you go on a road trip you go on a road TRIP :!: If things hold up to your travels that is saying a lot.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

To continue my story from above..............

We used the cabin at King Ash Bay (KAB) as a base and fished throughout the McArthur River and its tributaries, as well as other systems further afield. This screen shot of the GPS tracker's website gives an idea of where we fish.

Its 66 nm from the boat ramp at KAB on the far left to the Robinson R on the far right. From left to right our destinations are KAB, Sharker 1 Creek, Fat Fellow's Creek and the Robinson River. The run down the McArthur to its mouth takes about 40 min at 28 kts. From the mouth its about 20 min to Sharker 1, a further 30 min to Fat Fellows and a further 1 hr to the Robinson. We averaged 2.5 hrs each way from the boat ramp to the Robbo R - we usually travel at 25 - 30 kts and even when it gets a bit rough, rarely get below 20 kts. At an average speed of 26 kts, the boat (250 hp Yamaha vmax SHO) was using 0.5 US gal/nm (2 nm/US gal). The boat rides extremely well and is quite dry. The only time we cop a bit of spray is with a quartering sea in a strong wind.

This is what the boat was built to do!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

What an epic adventure!

Did you catch any fish?

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Typical Thanksgiving weekend striper and speckled trout shenanigans in SE VA. With a mild winter last year, the trout have have been plentiful and healthy. We're all hoping for another mild winter so they all survive.

A good cold snap will wipe out the majority of the stock, and it takes a few years for them to rebuild.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:50 pm What an epic adventure!
Did you catch any fish?
I’m working up to that, Dan!