Playing nice in the sand box

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Playing nice in the sand box

Post by cape man »

That water was still 36" under the house. It's a stilt home on the Alafia River. If I flood in the house, everyone in the county is flooding. Well maybe not everyone... :D :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

All of the houses on the river here look just like that Craig. The residents are having to take a boat the last mile. Many have water in them now, even though they are on stilts.

Beat's the heck out of living in a desert though Larry B :wink: At least to me. I'd rather have mud between my toes than dry sand :lol: Thinkin' I'll go hang some crawfish traps off the porch. It's either that or brave the driveway and try to get to the grocery store :doh:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Mostly Snakes, Cactus, HEAT. Out here it will either Sting you, Bite you or Stick you :lol: Believe it or not there is alot of living things in the desert. Pretty interesting most the time. But yea it would be hard to go from living on a river to a DRY Desert. I've lived in Utah, Idaho, Calif. and AZ. and a bunch of different Countrys. I like AZ the best :D But I'm sure I'd like it on the East coast too :D You guys seem to have lots to do, and I could sure use my boat more :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

My dad lived in a little town in PA on the Susquehanna River. Just about every year the river flooded the town, everybody kept a rowboat on the porch roof. Like you said, "where you want to live and what you are willing to put up with" High and dry in Vermont. :P
Daddy 8)

cape man

Post by cape man »

In 1995 we had a very severe El Nino winter, followed by a wet summer. We paddled in and out of the house 5 different times that year. River would go up and down within a few days, but it kept happening about every month or so.

However, I have 5 acres on a secluded area of a river in central Florida within 30 minutes of Tampa and the Bay - 45 to the GOM. Have shot hogs from the stairs, get to watch all kinds of animals living their lives, and at night it gets dark. The lichens on the north side of the oaks are bright red (some of you know what that means 8) 8) ), and the air smells like nature. I'll put up with the water when the river wants to go over the banks.

The Sonoran Desert Museum and National Park on both sides of Tuscon are some of my favorite places I have visited in life, but could never be away from the big water.

Hey, kinda cool how this thread morphed into this...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Larry B wrote: Image
:P He when were you photographing from my backyard ? :doh:

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cape man wrote:In 1995 we had a very severe El Nino winter, followed by a wet summer. We paddled in and out of the house 5 different times that year. River would go up and down within a few days, but it kept happening about every month or so.

However, I have 5 acres on a secluded area of a river in central Florida within 30 minutes of Tampa and the Bay - 45 to the GOM. Have shot hogs from the stairs, get to watch all kinds of animals living their lives, and at night it gets dark. The lichens on the north side of the oaks are bright red (some of you know what that means 8) 8) ), and the air smells like nature. I'll put up with the water when the river wants to go over the banks.

The Sonoran Desert Museum and National Park on both sides of Tuscon are some of my favorite places I have visited in life, but could never be away from the big water.

Hey, kinda cool how this thread morphed into this...
Craig, I have Coyotes, javelinas, bobcats and Eagles here at my place. We listen to the Coyotes everynight and watch the javelina in the morning tearing up our plants :x Bobcats not too much, and a few Eagles on the hill.
I'll bet your place is beautiful at night, maybe someday I can visit, at low tide :wink:
Completed: FL14, OD18

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

1996 El Nino winter in my hometown had us moving all of our possessions from the main floor to the top floor. What makes this strange is how far above flood stage our house was...

Water level crested 2 feet lower than our front door. Highest water level was 46 (yes, forty six) feet above FLOOD stage on the mighty Willamette river. Luckily our door was at 48 feet.

El Nino years are crazy. Having one right now, its 46 outside in Spokane today, where we should be under about a foot of snow and hovering between the high 20s daytime and teens at night.

E

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

My sandbox is frozen right now, but that can't stop me from playing in it. :lol:

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

cape man

Post by cape man »

Now see Joe...that just aint right. I mean what are you guys thinking up there?