Diesel Engine Owners

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Diesel Engine Owners

Post by Mad Dog »

flyfishingmonk wrote:With all that said, aftera wasting a few thousand dollars in time and equipment, we simply went back to regular diesel. However, all the work may be worth it to some people who like messing with nasty veg oil and stinky diesel.
I hear you. To convert the veg oil and fats into bio-diesel is not a simple process. It sounds like you needed lots of fuel. I'm only interested in filling my Dodge 2500. Normal driving means about 70 gal per month. That and then my fishing trips I'm not dealing with to much bio-diesel production. Of course I have not brewed a single batch yet so I don't really know anything more than I've read. At current local prices I'm not highly motivated but when it goes over $4 per gallon again I'll be wishing I had a system. :x

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

It can be fun to dork with but then the "dorking with" becomes no fun over time. And the veg oil, if procured at a local restaurant, is typically NASTY to work with. Most places use it for so long it almost becomes worthless to work with. If they had a green barfing face I would use it.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

It looks like the repair worked. I let her run in my driveway for 15 mins or so and saw no diesel leaks. Pray she stays together.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

thb wrote:It is ridiculous that diesel cost 30 cents a gallon more than gasoline since a lot less refining is required to make diesel. Also try to find low sulphur 15 ppm fuel everywhere is not real easy.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

Tom, this information is not accurate any longer now that the EPA is requiring the use of ULSD on all on-road vehicles. I work in the refining industry and the shift to diesel production in our country (as well as world wide) is dramatic. The diesel sent to the pump today is as refined as a lot of gasolines.

Prior to 2007, on-road diesel was considered low sulfur diesel. This was less than 500 ppm. Most of the diesel boiling range streams that come off the various refining processes used to meet this spec. Now that the EPA is requiring ULSD, which is less than 15 ppm of sulfur, the refineries typically have to produce less than 5 ppm diesel to combat pipeline contamination. The sulfur molecules are very slippery and provided great lubricity to the low sulfur diesel. Now that there is essentially no sulfur left in the ULSD these fuels are very hard on engines. That is another reason that the price has increased, more additives are required to meet the the lubricity specifications.

There are many other reasons, but the fact is that today's diesel is no longer a "by product" of gasoline production in refineries.

I don't have a specific link to the kit I put in, but if you go search at http://www.thedieselstop.com you should be able to find some more info on it. If not, let me know and I may be able to dig something up.

Tim

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Tim,
Thanks for the info on Diesel. I did not know it was that much more costly to produce ultra low sulphur diesel. Another good reason to get rid of my duramax and go back to gas. Price is never going to go back down to below gas.
Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

No problem Tom.

I think you're right that it won't ever revert back to being a refinery "by product".

Tim

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Well the new o-rings for the fuel filter pot went well. I was reading it was the new diesel that is eating up these o-rings.

Now I need to order some new boots for the turbos. Then I should be all set for my next 200K... knock on wood.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I should be working on my boat but it is still a little warm in my opinion for the epoxy. It's setting up pretty fast in this heat.For example. I mixed a batch for my buddys kayak and it got all thick on us in under 5 mins so we set the next batch on ice after mixing it. It worked great and stayed liquid for us the whole time.

But the head doesn't affect working on my truck. So I replaced my intake.

I purchased Ford's new Super Duty air filter for my 7.3 Powerstroke. I cut a couple holes in the side of the radiator housing to allow more air to the snorkel and I cut a whole in the side of the filter box to allow more air to be sucked out from the fender. The modification through the radiator housing is called the Zoodad. I covered the whole with the metal mesh that came out of the old filter so big bugs would not get sucked up and into my filter. I painted the mesh black so it would blend in a little better. As for the modification to the new filter housing, I don't think it has a name. The part for that modification is just a foam sleeve designed to prevent the hot air from under the hood from getting sucked in the new whole.

Here are a few pics.