How far out is "offshore"?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

How far out is "offshore"?

Post by Rob Eades »

In another thread a guy asks about taking a FS14 2-3 klicks offshore to fish a reef.One of our most knowledgeable contributors said it wasn't smart.

Hugh?,I am inexperienced in powerboating and saltwater in general,and HAVE done some dumb stuff,but is it dangerous to go 1.5 miles out in a 14ft boat?

I've been out further than that in all sort of small sailing dinghy's and catamarans,not to mention kayaks.

So just how far out an a good day can you safely go in a 14ft boat?

Just wanting to learn for my future saltwater adventures. :D

Rob

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How far out is "offshore"?

Post by thb »

Rob,
I think a lot depends on what kind of conditions you have at the inlet to the ocean. I had a dinky little 15 ft boat in Miami back in the early 70's. Early Fiberglass job with manual start 35 hp evinrude which I paid $100 for. I took it offshore on one occasion and had no issues except when I went to run back thru the inlet at the southern end of Fisher Island. I was surfing off the back of a 4 ft wave to get in. Not real smart but we were young and wild and invincible.

Now here on the gulf coast getting offshore is nothing like that as there are not any inlets on the big bend. On a good day the gulf can be flat as glass and I would not hesitate to take a FS14 several miles out to fish a reef.

I am a lot more respectful of the sea in my old age and would keep a close eye out on the weather if I were offshore in a FS14. If the conditions start to change, get out of there and run on home. I have been 25 miles out in my old 18 ft wellcraft without a GPS or a very good compass. When you can't see land, that is offshore in my book. Clouds hang out over the land around here so you know which way to go to head back in. I would not go that far in a FS14. I would carry a hand-held VHF with me and a hand held GPS if you have one.

The best rule is good common sense. Pick your days and you will be fine.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

In another thread a guy asks about taking a FS14 2-3 klicks offshore to fish a reef.One of our most knowledgeable contributors said it wasn't smart.
I assume you are referring to me :D The poster of the question indicated he would be doing this regularly with an 8 and 12 year old kids in the boat, and if the OD16 would be a better choice. This is what I said..
Is the FS 14 offshore capable 1 or 2 up
I would say no, unless you have a lot of experience and perfect weather. The OD16 would be much better suited for that, and the kids will grow quick
Yes, in perfect weather, and you know the weather will stay perfect, and you have enough experience to know the weather will stay perfect, and enough experience to get the boat home even if it doesn't, and you don't have to run an inlet, then yeah, maybe. I know the OD16 will get those kids home even in sloppy weather :wink: The FS14 could certainly make near shore trips in good weather, but I surely would not call it an offshore capable boat. That implies that it can handle offshore conditions.
The FS14 cannot do that, it can only handle calm conditions occasionally found offshore.

FWIW, I regularly took my GF16 several miles out, but only in perfect weather and with only one adult passenger. Even in my OD18, I limit the passengers to 2 when running offshore. I don't consider a couple of miles to be offshore, we call that coastal. Up to about 20 miles we call near shore, I don't consider it offshore until we are over 20 miles out.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I'm with Larry on this one. But really, the word "offshore" or the description of "offshore conditions" is way too vague. A few years ago, I ran my 16' production bay boat out 15 miles on the Gulf Coast on a glass-flat day with my father-in-law. I wasn't concerned for one second, even as land disappeared, but the second the wind starting picking up a little, we got back within a few miles of shore. On the other hand, I tried to take my XF20 out one of the canals at Boca Grande last year in the evening with my wife, and we turned around and headed back in because it was way too rough. That was only 100 yards from shore. In south Florida, you can be 1 mile out and on the reef or near the gulf stream, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it in a small boat if the crew and conditions were right, but no way I'd take my kids out there if everything wasn't perfect. Heck, there's a whole crowd of guys in south Florida that paddle their kayaks to crazy distances.

I guess the point to be made is to always have common sense, which is sometimes in short supply these days.

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

One of our most knowledgeable contributors said it wasn't smart.
Rob, as further clarification, I didn't mean that it wasn't smart to take an FS14 a few miles offshore on a good day, I meant that it wasn't smart to build an FS14 if that was the use in mind for the boat :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Knowing Larry's knowledge of sefaring conditions, I agree with him wholeheartedly. Take his advice to heart. The key is to build the right boat for what water you will be on most of the time(we all get caught by weather changes sometimes, but with small children or anyone else you need to use common sense). :wink: