What type of trim tab to buy

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

What type of trim tab to buy

Post by thb »

I have been looking at trim tabs and wonder what type do other boat builders like.

All this discussion after looking at the Volvo QL tabs which seem pretty expensive.

The Bennett have been around a long time and I had them on my Pace 36 back in the 90's. Having to run hydraulic lines to the actuators and having a spot for the hyd motor reservior could be issues. They seem a little more expensive than others.

The Lenco electric tabs seem pretty easy and are cheaper to purchase. I have no idea how they hold up over time???

Are there some others out there which are worth considering???

Please chime in and offer your experiences and preferences.

Thanks in advance,
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: What type of trim tab to buy

Post by Cracker Larry »

I have used both Bennett and Lenco and never had a problem with either one. Both are good reliable products. The Lenco are simpler to install and maintain, and a little less expensive. They are also a bit faster than hydraulic. That is probably what I'll use on the FS18. For larger boats I would probably go with Bennetts. I've never used or had any experience with other brands.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Bennett is my preference, I personally would stay away from the electric tabs

mechdave
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by mechdave »

Lencos should be avoided only if the boat will stay in the water most of the time. That being said, Bennets my are still my tab of choice. I have had them on my Wellcraft 248 and have functioned flawlessly for over 7 years.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I agree with both of yall, Bennetts are the best and what I'd use on a larger saltwater boat that stayed in the water. They would be the best choice for a 25' boat. But for smaller boats, say under 22' that are trailer stored, Lencos will work just fine and hold up very well in our coastal salt water.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Tom,

If the price of the Volvo QL tabs is all that is holding you back, shoot me an email. I've got a brand new, in the box set that are not going to work out for me that I'd like to recoup some cost on. I put a post on them in the "flush mount tabs" thread up top offering them to Larry. He didn't think they would work for him either, so they are up for grabs.

Tim
toubre "at" gt "dot" rr "dot" com

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Thanks to all for your inputs. Interesting in hearing the opinions of all. I was thinking about putting some on my upcoming XF20 build but I even wonder if that hull would benefit much from them. What youall think??

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I met these guys at IBEX, and I think I will probably use them on my Seacraft. Im going to need a very low profile due to the swim platform. I do not have any experience with them, yet, but they seemed like they would be eager to help me get it figured out :)

http://www.lectrotab.com/

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Those sure look nice Joel. Keep us posted.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:Those sure look nice Joel. Keep us posted.
It is so funny those specs http://www.lectrotab.com/benefit-of-electric/ makes me think of those commercials that for instance tell me how badly I need that special can opener following by some guy or girl making a mess, cutting his head off etc using a ordinary can opener :lol: If you need to advertise like that to me I works the opposite, but he that's me :wink: