Trolling Motor Batteries

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Trolling Motor Batteries

Post by majorgator »

I feel like we've discussed this topic before but...
I recently mounted my MotorGuide 24V 82# thrust trolling motor battery on the bow of my XF20. That was the easy part, and now I have to buy the batteries for it. Obviously, I need 2 each 12V batteries to make the circuit. I basically have 2 choices: 1)use the standard size Group 24 or 27 batteries or 2)purchase smaller batteries like the ones shown below...

I've seen a lot of these smaller-sized batteries on flats boats, but they cost about $140 each. Two of these weigh about the same as a single Group 24 battery and would fit nicely in my anchor locker. My grandfather has used them for several years with good results, but still, I don't know if I'm sold on them. On the other hand, I've seen more boats go with the standard-sized batteries. I can get 2 deep cycles for about $70 or $80 a piece. If I used these, I would have to install them in enclosed battery boxes under my front deck, as they would be in the same compartment as the fuel tank.

I'd like to pull the trigger on this sometime over the next week or so, therefore I hope to receive lots of comments to help me decide. And to beat everyone to the punch, I could actually use some extra weight on the bow-end of my boat.

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Two 6V golf cart lead acid batteries from Sam's Club or similar. Usually < $100 each, 64 lbs each, and 220 - 240 A.hours total. Maybe overkill for your application but they last forever with heavy use. I wouldn't buy West Marine batteries. Overpriced and not great quality
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

mechdave
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by mechdave »

I like Interstate batteries. If you have any friends in the auto business they can get you jobber pricing from them too. Golf cart batteries would give you super capacity but 4 of them would set you back ~ $400.00 plus weighing over 250 lbs. I agree on the west marine pricing, out of the ball park. I only buy there when I need it yesterday.

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

I have used the group 30 lead acid batteries for my 24v. trolling motor for the past 10 years. They are way overkill for fishing a couple of days. The new motors are incredibly efficient so I bought group 22 AGM batteries from cabelas for my Xf20. Unfortunately the splash has been postponed for a while so can't give you actual results. With that said, bigger batteries are like a bigger fuel tank so it boils down to how many hours you plan to use it between charges. 24 volt motors rule!

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Buy a couple of good deep cycle batteries " you said you could use the extra weight " and use the
money you save to get a good batt charger, one that will maintain them when not in use .
The ones i had on my bass boat lasted almost ten years , and i used them alot.
The thing that kills batts is not charging them correctly.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'm a big fan of both Interstate and Walmart batteries. No need to spend the big bucks unless you just have them to waste :D Interstate often has blems that they sell for half price, with nothing wrong but a scuff or little scratch. I think a pair of Group24 deep cycles will run that trolling motor all day, and should cost less than $75 each.
Two 6V golf cart lead acid batteries from Sam's Club or similar. Usually < $100 each,
Except it would take 4 of them in series to get 24 volts :doh:, and they aren't rated for the vibrations and pounding encountered in a boat. I don't spend much time on golf courses but all the ones I've seen are a lot smoother than choppy water :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cali123 »

I think that a pair of group 24 batteries will run closer to a week unless you keep it at full speed . Its the least expensive way with lots of reserve power but you would save a lot of mounting hassle by using the small batteries. Like I said before, It depends on how many hours (or days) between charges and if you will be fighting fast current,big waves or strong winds. The system that I currently have will go where its pointed no matter what the conditions and still be going strong at the end of the week .

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I missed the point about the motor being 24V sorry. I agree that 4 golf cart batteries would be massive overkill. That is the size of our house bank on our sailboat and it powers the fridge, autopilot, instruments, computers etc. without a hiccup. I disagree that they are not constructed for bouncing etc on a boat. They use thicker plates that are mechanically stronger than thinner plates in other deep cycle batteries.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

And being an ex-golfer (back when 9 holes cost 3 or 5 dollars), those carts take some abuse! :lol: The suspensions are nothing like automobile suspensions. Maybe its a nicer ride on courses in Florida or other mostly flat terrain, but many courses can be a wild ride every 18 holes, depending on how well you hit the ball where you actually want it to go. :lol: Fairways are not always as *fair* as they appear from a distance. They can be a very bumpy ride, especially on cheap *cow pasture* courses. And when the budget allows, or the schedule requires renting a cart, the cart ride between shots becomes half the fun of the outing, which basically means that one isn't driving as if there is delicate brain surgery underway back by the golf bags.

We usually walked the course... but on a day with a tight schedule to get in a quick 9 holes, especially on a large course or cow pasture, the cart made a big difference, and back then it was cheap to rent 'em. Much rougher ride than a typical car experiences. :wink: No, not like what an ATV goes through while bouncing through the woods to get to the tree stand or trail cam, but certainly rougher rides than a car battery has to stand up to. And the grid structure also has to handle the short and intense repeated recharge cycles. Golf cart batteries are tough batteries, but not like AGMs. :)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

As someone who used to drink and golf back in college I can also attest that golf carts do not float, no matter how fast you are going when you drive into the water :oops:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)