nm

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

nm

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: New rules coming for Gasoline tanks hoses ect...

Post by Cracker Larry »

Unbelievable :? Well, I wish it was. Our elected officials and their appointees at work, as if they haven't been busy enough screwing things up :? I thought they were all on vacation in Hawaii.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Why waste time on a jobs bill when they can do this...

E

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Spokaloo wrote:Why waste time on a jobs bill when they can do this...

E
I suppose an enterprising individual could make a few bucks off of counterfeit compliance declarations. :help:

The stuff about the permeation in tanks and hoses looks like an effort to force some manufacturers to bring their product into the 21st century and use the technology that industry leaders are using. The whole tank vent thing isn't a bad idea, but, as that article mentioned, there is a need for more product development to give us a unified solution. Sort of a plug and play gas tank system. The pressure system used in PWCs looks like the most practical one to me. What ever it takes to keep those hydrocarbons where they belong is good with me. From the oil well to the combustion chamber and beyond they are nothing but trouble if you let 'em get loose. 8)
CC, D15, V10

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

About the only "new" thing at IBEX this year was the various ways to comply wit this new rule.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

So, I read this and it is unclear exactally when this stuff will be in full effect. Does anyone know if I title my boat mid-year this year if I have to have the cannisters and funky vents, and stupid stickers, and other stuff? I hate 'idiot stickers'.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

The trap and canister should be pretty easy to install. The spit/vent issue can be solved just by extending down the vent line further down into the tank.

BTW, the fabricator of the tanks I put into my SC already offer the extension on their tanks, its no extra charge. So if my SC were a new boat, and I was the manufacturer, then I would only need to install new vents and carbon traps.

The way I read it, older poly tanks are basically obsolete at this point, only the newer ones will comply. One bit of good news is the new poly tanks will no longer require the compartment to be ventilated, so that exchanges one problem (venting compartments) for another (regulation).
Does anyone know if I title my boat mid-year this year if I have to have the canisters and funky vents, and stupid stickers, and other stuff? I hate 'idiot stickers'.
It is as clear as mud to me. The article says that home built boats must comply, but it doesn't say if that is part of ABYC standard or its is actually the law that home built boats must comply.

To comply should be pretty easy. Install a couple extra parts, then test it yourself. I have suppliers for all those parts, so I will make them available at a discount to our builders if they choose to go that route.

In November there will be an opportunity to give feedback for and possibly change the direction of the EPA :wink:

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Only prob is that I've already bought my aluminum tank about 3 months ago, with just a normal design without all the extra headspace. I'm hoping that this is just another detail that will be no problem in the long run. I'm certainly not goign to cut apart the tank now that it's all pressure-tested and coal-tarred. Maybe getting the fill/vent unit together will help alleviate any concerns, since I believe those vent right back into the tank.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

So in a nutshell, what does this mean? I have two tanks and here is what they look like. The browser was having trouble pulling up the site from the link.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Since the page wasn't working I did a search on the topic. It appears this doesent apply to outboards. Is this correct?
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement