CAUTION TENNESSEE BUILDERS!!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

CAUTION TENNESSEE BUILDERS!!

Post by gstanfield »

I would post this in the bilge since I know it's going to get nasty, but at the same time it is very relevant to the builders here as well as the well being of the boat building industry itself.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/16773393/state-threatens-suit

Has any of our TN builders registered a boat recently?
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

mechdave
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: CAUTION TENNESSEE BUILDERS!!

Post by mechdave »

If they made me pay it in the end. I'd sell my house and move to another State. That is completely insane. The Fed and State govs are out of control. No wonder folks go postal sometimes.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

The Fed and State govs are out of control.
Amen to that! Just think for a minute the trickle down effect from this. It could eventually impact every one of us!

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

I live in Tennessee, if this happens to me, I'll lawyer up!! :x I'm going to call those guys soon to get my numbers / register. That's insane!! :x It's also double taxation, as my materials were taxed :!: :!: I guess I'll get a tax bill because I drive my kids around to events.... must make me a taxi driver too. :!: :!:

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I'm having a hard time buying this story. There has to be some details that were left out...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

gk108

Post by gk108 »

If Tennessee obeys the election laws, this is exactly what the majority asked for. Perhaps it would have been a good idea for the voters of Tennessee to research their candidates a bit more thoroughly before voting them into office. That might help prevent unexpected legislation. :wink:
CC, D15, V10

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Perhaps it would have been a good idea for the voters of Tennessee to research their candidates a bit more thoroughly before voting them into office. That might help prevent unexpected legislation.
I don't think this is unexpected legislation, but the revenue office over-stepping their authority or using their rules in a way unintended by the legislature. I will be contacting my representative (whom I know personally) and already have got a commitment for free legal representation if this happens to me. 8)
I'm having a hard time buying this story. There has to be some details that were left out...
I hope you right Richard. :?

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I hope there's more to the story too, but I'm not real sure what would be left out. I actually spoke to the guy a few weeks ago (via internet) when he splashed the boat. His name is John and he built a Spira 14ft Seneca in just over 3 weeks time with his son. He's not a pro boatbuilder nor did he build it to sell.

What I will be doing is following this one real close and if there are some developments that I find out I'll pass them along. The whole thing just doesn't make sense, it's not like he's the only guy in TN to build a boat :doh:

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

I read some of the comments after the article. The last post gave a road map to getting the registration without the headaches. In Texas anything related to your boat (except trailers) goes through Texas Parks and Wildlife so we get to stay out of the tax offices. It seems like there is a process, get your build inspected and an H.I.N. then go pay the registration fee. Maybe the poor guy in the article didn't realize that and the tax office... well enough said.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

gk108 wrote:If Tennessee obeys the election laws, this is exactly what the majority asked for. Perhaps it would have been a good idea for the voters of Tennessee to research their candidates a bit more thoroughly before voting them into office. That might help prevent unexpected legislation. :wink:
I seriously doubt that is the problem here. I can't find anything in the law to justify the extra $539 tax. How much value added would it take to come up with 539 plus the tax he already paid on the material :doh: 9k on a 14 foot boat :lol: If he is not selling the boat, who set the value :doh:

http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/taxgui ... anduse.pdf

My guess is the dude bought all of his materials on the internet and refused to pay any state sales tax. I say the story is BS...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146