Transducer

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Transducer

Post by peter-curacao »

I have a Airmar transducer Brochure, as you can see in the brochure it says Hull Deadrise: Up to 24, but how does that work? how does it go straight down, is it self leveling inside or something? not every boat has the same deadrise :doh: here is a pic of mine maybe that helps?

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Transducer

Post by majorgator »

Peter, not that I've ever owned or installed one like that, but I did watch a ShipShape TV episode a while back where one was installed. The show host ordered a transducer that matched the deadrise of his hull. If I remember correctly, he then installed it with some proprietary flanges made specifically for that unit/model. It mounted flush with the underside of the hull, but had the deadrise adjustment built-in.

That may not be much help, but maybe it points you in the right direction.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

majorgator wrote:Peter, not that I've ever owned or installed one like that, but I did watch a ShipShape TV episode a while back where one was installed. The show host ordered a transducer that matched the deadrise of his hull. If I remember correctly, he then installed it with some proprietary flanges made specifically for that unit/model. It mounted flush with the underside of the hull, but had the deadrise adjustment built-in.

That may not be much help, but maybe it points you in the right direction.
Thanks all answers are more than welcome, the thing I'm thinking is this transducer works best at zero degrees and loses a little reflection transmission with every degree deadrise and stops working over 24 degrees, these are the installation instructionsI have. It was sold to me at Defender and probably it works fine, I was just wondering how.

glcost
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by glcost »

Peter,

The electronic element is permanently mounted in the bronze housing at the tilt angle. For your CS25, I believe the deadrise is at 17 degrees, and I assume you have the transducer with 20 degree tilt and a range of 16 to 24 degrees. So the beam will not point directly down but outboard by a few degrees. The beam is a cone shape though.

I have a similar Airmar transducer, but with a 12 degree tilt while my deadline is 8 degrees. I mounted it somewhat forward where the DR is more, but still not 12. So I have a similar situation. I haven't notice any adverse consequences though.

George
George C

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

I think this will help ya out Peter.
After reading the brochure, I see what George is saying, I have always used the Transducer with a stem, not like your's.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... 008-05.pdf

After the fairing block is cut, the remaining section is used as a backing block.
I use a scrap wood block to practice with to make sure the angel is right.
In the old days I used teak blocks, now they have those fancy blue ones.

Brian............... :)
Last edited by Dog Fish on Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'm with Brian, the industry norm is to make a fairing block to bring it to zero degrees. We used to use teak in the old days too, but I'd probably use Starboard today.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

glcost
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by glcost »

Yeah, I know what you mean about the fairing. Airmar has other tranducers for that purpose with a better fin shape. There's no reason you can't added a fairing to the one Peter has, other than it a large 5" diameter head and you are trying to adjust it only by 2 or 3 degrees.

From Airmar's website:

B164 —Tilted Element™ Transducer

Description

Step up to a 1kW—Without a Fairing! Airmar has taken our innovative Tilted Element™ technology to a higher power. The 1kW, flush-mount, Tilted Element transducer is perfect for fast, trailered, tournament sportfishing vessels that cannot have a High-Performance Fairing. The flush-mounted, bronze housing protrudes less than 6.35 mm (0.25”) outside your hull and can sit on trailer rollers and bunks with no damage at all. The ceramic arrays are tilted inside the housing giving you the perfect vertical beam with maximum energy on what is directly below your boat. Take your fishfinder to the next power with this 1kW, Tilted Element transducer.

Product link:
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/pr ... f=Lowrance

Edited:
One other thing, you can always mount the tilt transducer further forward where the deadrise is closer to 20 degrees instead of at the transom.
George C

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Thanks for the info George, I wish they had that a long time ago.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've never used a tilted element transducer that high tech either. It might work fine without the fairing block. I really don't know. Looks cool though 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

The one George just referenced is the same type that the guy installed in ShipShape TV. Seems like a pretty neat option...and probably costs a whole lot more 8)
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread