Using auto body shop guys to finish boat?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Using auto body shop guys to finish boat?

Post by Rob Eades »

I may, for ever more, be stuck with builds under 20 ft, and that will be okay I guess :( , but I still dream about what could be.In a larger build, lets say over 25 ft, what if I built the hull and subbed out other tasks to sub contractors who were not boat builders?.I'm thinking specifically about the "finishing".Wouldn't good auto body shop guys have the required skills to finish a boat? I would seek out an electrician and a marine professional to install an inboard diesel.

From my limited experience, building the hull is the easy part.Its that other stuff that drives boat builders crazy, but aren't those specific skills out there in the marketplace at reasonable prices?

I'm really surprised that the Guys at Bateau haven't addressed this question in detail before since it might help builders "take the leap" to the next project.

thought?

Rob

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Using auto body shop guys to finish boat?

Post by cali123 »

Good auto collision repair techs. have the skills and the tools to glass and fair a boat and there are a lot of them looking for a few extra bucks. I still worked as a repair tech when I built my XF20 so I got a couple of guys from the body shop to help me lay the glass when it was time. We finished the outside ,wet on wet, in about 12 hours which included the first coat of faring in some places. We did the same on the inside of the hull. The beauty in using guys with that kind of experience is that they already understand how to do it so you don't have to tell them much about what to do or look over their shoulder. I did all of the fairing myself so I didn't take the easy way out but I had the tools to help do it. Fairing those large hulls is a lot like trying to fair the whole surface of your driveway. :help: As in any trade, there is a wide variety of experience and ability so just because someone claims to be a "body guy" doesn't mean that he really is.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

I used a body guy to finish my first build. After watching him I finished the second. The problem many of us have, including me, is we short the prep time prior to laminating and don't think through what it's going to look like after it's wet out. If you watch Larry's builds he's always thinking ahead to avoid a mess in the fairing stage. I tried to emulate him on the second boat and got closer than I was on the first. Either way it's a lot of work.

I wonder if some of us don't extend the fairing stage to increase the Rum intake :wink:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wonder if some of us don't extend the fairing stage to increase the Rum intake
I can drink rum without fairing a boat!

A friend of mine recently had his little boat painted at a body shop. They did a great job, but it cost $4K 8O

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Man that is a pretty paint job, Larry!!!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yeah it is, but 4K :help: To each their own 8) I rebuilt the transom, stringers and sole. He took it to a paint pro from there. Then I helped him re-rig it.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose