Splashed

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
cankicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Splashed

Post by cankicker »

Image I got the "Lumberyard Skiff" in the water finally.As you can see it is strickly a workboat finish and not the norm of builders here,But it is gonna live a hard life among the oyster bars of the Suwannee River Delta in west Florida....Also I HATE sanding :D I am breaking in the 15 hp Tohatsu motor and was only able to run it full throttle for a few minutes per Tohatsu break in procedures but it actually planed! That's suprising since the bottom is two layers of 3/4 plyand it's pretty heavy.I;ll try it again with a lower pitch prop IF it ever quites raining here in Gainesville.CL isn't the only one watching for animals paring up two by two....On a sad note as the wife and I were returning to the ramp we saw a boat sunk with the motor complety under and the owner cranking it back on the trailer,It seem like the weight of the motor was too much for the boat to float with the angle of the ramp.. :( And he had just bought the motor ..70hp Johnson two stroke/15 ft skiff....Thanks everybody for the advise and help here on the forum.I've already got the plans for the HB-20 Houseboat so that may be in the future,We shall see.....

Irish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Splashed

Post by Irish »

Nice Job Cankicker. Is that he sports or standard version design by Walter Baron:?:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

nice job. We must keep this category for our designs only (builder's power boats) so that there is no confusion to new people visiting the site. i will move it over to "anything else"

cankicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cankicker »

Joel,It's the sport version,The double bottom was ok'ed by the designer..ie: nothing inside to trip over :)
Sorry about the wrong forum post..

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

As you can see it is strickly a workboat finish and not the norm of builders here,But it is gonna live a hard life among the oyster bars of the Suwannee River Delta in west Florida...
Nothing wrong with the "workboat" finish. After fishing it for a year or 2 like you say, the finish is going to take a beating anyway :lol: Is that picture taken at the ramp in Fanning Springs?
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

cankicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cankicker »

Nope,That's Newnans lake ramp,And there is no shortage of Gators in the lake this year :D ..The Suwannee was pretty high when I went over it at Fanning the other week and as you know we have had more rain since then and I didn't want to deal with the current till I saw how the boat would handle,Hince the first voyage at the lake..

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I really like that style of boat and would like to build one one day after my GF16.
Did you glass it? I asked Walter if he thought it would hold up to Florida's harsh summers if built to plan, but he never responded back.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Congratulations and there is nothing wrong with a work boat finish. I like utilitarian boats.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cankicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cankicker »

Yes,it's glassed with 10 oz up to the waterline ,6 inch tape on all the seams and all wood saturated with marine epoxy.I followed the plans pretty closely except for the double bottom ,using epoxy glue instead of Sikaflex All Bateau products of course :D As far as holding up here is a 15 ft Pram I built 4 years ago with the same Home Depot ply and painted with porch paint Image No signs of checking and it stays outside with only a tarp over it in the Florida sun .The skiff is made with the same materials and finish and on both boats there are no holes or edges left uncoated with epoxy.I have build pictures in the gallery under cankicker if you care to view them,,

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Cankicker, Nice job. Go Fishing before you start the next project