inflatable life jackets

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

inflatable life jackets

Post by Steven »

I've never owned one but am going to get one. Just discovered my Stay Fit benefit at work will pay for one life jacket a year. :) So money is not a concern. I want one that will be comfortable. Any preferences?

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: inflatable life jackets

Post by Larry B »

In my opinion, just don't get the one with automatic inflation. I have one and even here in DRY Arizona there was enough humidity to set it off while in a hatch. Then about 25 bucks to rearm it :doh: And just waiting for it to inflate again, I got it for my wife.
Other than that I can't give much info. All of mine are from Cabela's and they are comfortable.
Completed: FL14, OD18

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

I carry a couple with manual inflation on board at all times. The only downside I see is that in order to count toward your Coast Guard life jacket requirements you must actually be wearing it. Not a bid deal, since you hardly know they are on.

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

I splurged and bought a couple "Mustang Survival MD3031 Inflatable Collar PFD/ Life jacket ". Wonderful, Comfortable so much so I forget i'm wearing them. Never had a mis-fire or accidental inflation.
I bought a 3rd as an extra that stays in my truck.

I wear a PFD at all times on the water.

I also keep a couple PFD Fishing type Vest for extras.

You can never have too much that floats.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Have a couple different kinds of them both from Cabela's. I did an informal poll a few years ago and determined a guy won't loose his man card for wearing one. I now wear mine all the time on the boat, the noise from the female contingent is much diminished. :D

Steven

Post by Steven »

Bought a Mustang and used it for first time yesterday. 40 degrees at launch and water temp 44 degrees. Wore it over my outerwear. Before this would be a no life jacket day on the type of day it most needed. So comfortable and never new it was there. Very pleased. Gonna buy several more and make others use them if they want to be on the boat.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I just saw this and thought I would mention a company named Stormy Seas. They make all sorts of gear with built in May West type life vests. I wear a slicker suit top with one a lot. They make a whole line of coats and vests also, some pretty nice stuff all in all.
Fuzz