Where did you build your boat?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
bheff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Where did you build your boat?

Post by bheff »

Im about to pull the trigger and order some plywood. My mind had been set on building the FX20. I'm debating whether I should build it in the garage or buy a shelter for the side of the house to build it in. I have a standard 2 car garage and the wife parks in it. Im concerned that the size of it would cause me to hear a lot of complaining.

cali123
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Where did you build your boat?

Post by cali123 »

Buy the shelter. In a 2 car garage, there isn't room for that boat and a car too. I would get a 12x24 shelter if you can swing it. Or talk your wife into parking in the driveway during the build. :lol:

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I agree with the shelter. I'm building my GF16 in the garage. Thats about as big as I would go in a 20x20. My wife wouldnt give up her spot either but its not a problem with this boat.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

cankicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cankicker »

I also ran into that problem with the wife's car and the boat both occuping the 20x20 garage during the build,The solution was to put casters on the building frame so it could be rolled against the wall when the car was garaged or rolled to the center when I was working on it....Of course this method requires your garage doesn't look like a major storage area .Hint: Pile all the extra "Stuff" in the back yard and throw a tarp over it. :D

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I built my first two under a tent made from tarps. That worked OK as long as the weather didn't get rough. :?
For my current (never ending?) rebuild project, I bought a 16'X26' carport for a 20' boat. That gives me enough room to work on the ends of the boat without being cramped for space. After the project is complete, I'll be able to park the whole trailer under the carport out of the weather.
CC, D15, V10

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

I built a Stimson bow shed. A fraction of the cost of a prefab car or RV shelter.

http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I built an OB19 in a 2-car garage that measured 20.5' deep. I also put it on castors and wheeled it a couple feet out of the garage to work on the transom. No cars fit in there during the 2.5 years the build went on.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

fukes
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fukes »

You guys are making me jealous with all this talk of 2 car garages. :) I started mine on the back porch of a patio apartment with a tarp attached to the roof and tied to the fence. I went through two tarps this way. It would hold up ok til the weather weakened the tarp and it would start to puddle water. A heavy rain would then end up tearing it.

Luckily I got to finish in a 1 car garage (before it became a storage space).

GV13, one day something a little bigger hopefully.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

fukes wrote:You guys are making me jealous with all this talk of 2 car garages. :)
You are jealous? at least you had some walking/working space :lol:

fukes
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fukes »

Well now im jealous of your boat. :D
GV13, one day something a little bigger hopefully.