I feel old!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

I feel old!

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, the time has finally come. I filed for Social Security benefits today, after 30 years of paying into the system. Time to get some of it back and slow down a little bit, while they still have some money. Never figured I'd live this long :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Benny Howard
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: I feel old!

Post by Benny Howard »

Look at the bright side Larry, your supposed to be wiser now too. When I started drawing it they wouldn't let me make as much money so I couldn't work as much. Had more time to build a boat, I feel wiser for that, so maybe it does work out for the good.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I figure that $1,500 extra a month for the rest of my life can't be anything but good, Benny :D It's been a long time coming.
Going to keep right on doing what I'm doing as long as I can go though.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I been collecting those checks for awhile now. It's amazing!! Money for nothing and your chicks for free! Just like the Dire Straits song. I'm sure Mrs. Johnson thinks she pays quite a high price for being free to me but that's her concern.
Tony

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:I figure that $1,500 extra a month for the rest of my life can't be anything but good, Benny :D It's been a long time coming.
Going to keep right on doing what I'm doing as long as I can go though.
Cool drinking change!Image that will cover the rum each month, well most of it Image Image Image

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Dont worry Larry,
I feel old too since I am retired for the last 3 years and problematic is that one thinks now I have at last the time to build a boat.
And the fact is one cant get it finished because every detail brings up another delay to think about it and be it only that the daylight is not good enough anymore whilst sewing the sail or there is a new taxi request to drive family members starting with my wife down to grandschildren suddenly somewhere. Thats what wears me out and makes me feel old too. You waste so much time of which one does not know how much of it is left.
I have found one good excuse to be not disturbed by nothing and nobody including telephone consultancy for my last firm I was employed, which is when I am playing with epoxy. Naturally I have to announce this loudly and I think everyone around me is so scared about that poisonos stuff that I am left alone until I surface out of the boat shed without mask and rubber gloves.
It is really the nicest part of old age just to find out while the time flew in the boatshed you turned older again.
Most probably one gets busier in old age because the discipline one had in the days of a fixed employment is fading somehow.
Just an example :
Before retirement I got up at 5 am went with the dog for an hour, had a shower, breakfast and off to the job.
Now I dont get up at 5 cant make up my mind what do do first of the three morning chores and wait for breakfast being served and before you know it besides reading in my Junk Sail bible it is nearly lunch and my wife shouts that I havent walked the dog yet and havent been to the shower.

I hope Larry you will enjoy also this undisciplined future that you have ahead of you whilst always have the adventure boat in the back of your head. I cant think of a more fascinating ( saluting Mr.Spock ) thing as thinking about a small boat building task and how to tackle it.
I tell you feeling old is nice especially when you got no pain except when you scratch yourself on the starboards still rough fibreglass edge. ( Happened to me twice recently and I definely get the sander out before I go near that boat again if my mind does not diverted to some other boat activity. )
I also like Peters idea for extra money of emptying the booze cabinet which is overflowing because I am too busy.

I wish you lots of good fishing times and lots of new builds in between.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

frazoo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by frazoo »

Congratulations on reaching that milestone (or is is millstone?). Nah, it's milestone, you had your nose to the grindstone all your life, so kick back and enjoy! I wish you peace, prosperity and a long, long boatbuilding life yet to come.
... use a bigger hammer.
Built and Using; V12, Cheap Canoe, Modified Honker 14
Strip Canoe (failed)
V12 and Honker Gone to Boat Heaven= Don't build with cheap ply

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

My only comments are these: Build a few more boats, catch many more sea creatures and Love on your family all you can.

Keep on Buildin'
Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

At last my tax dollars being put to good use :lol: It is great that you have reached that point in life and still have the get-up-and go to still build boats. I am not all that far in back of you and can only hope I can do like wise when the time comes. I am like everyone else in wondering what your next project will be. :doh: Well that is when you get totaly done with the GF-18.
Fuzz

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thank all for the well wishes. Getting time for another chapter in life. Not sure what it may bring, but that's the fun part.

Yeah Peter, that should cover the rum bill anyway :D
Love on your family all you can.
Amen Robbie. With age you learn what's important, and it's not things.

Nice post Karl, I'd like to meet you and raise a cup sometime.