Transom mount trolling motor

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
tam0204
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Transom mount trolling motor

Post by tam0204 »

I am looking for a trolling motor and would like your alls opinion on the best one for saltwater. It will be on a little 19 foot lo pro whaler. Thank you for any help.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Transom mount trolling motor

Post by ericsil »

Mounting on the transom is somewhat of a compromise, because it is much easier to pull the boat into the breeze than push it. Almost as important on the stern is how you will control the direction. You will be constantly correcting for the bow drift with motor adjustments. If you are thinking of manual tiller steering, the top of the line is the Torqueedo. Self contained battery and GPS, low weight and tremendous thrust. I have purchased one to act as an emergency kicker which does not require yanking on some rope while hanging over the stern.

Jim_Davisson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jim_Davisson »

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling- ... e-Transom/

For the money these are dynamite and can be easily link to the outboard to steer from the helm. However without knowing how you plan on using it it's hard to make a recommendation. A bow mount as stated above is much easier to control especially in the wind. Occasion use 12v works fine, constant use needs a 24v minimum IMO. Based on your boat and occasion use I would recommend a bare minimum of 55 lbs thrust.
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, I'd go with a Minnkota too and at least 60 pounds of thrust for a boat that size. We just put an 80 lb. thrust MK on a GF18. And they will work much better off the bow than the transom. They pull better than they push.

This one has a built in GPS, interfaces with the Humminbird plotter, operates on remote control, or directly from the plotter, and it is bad to the bone 8)

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

I think I can share here with relevant... I've got a ProCraft 1950V, 1989 version, with a MinnKota PowerDrive 55 on the bow. It is anemic. Works great on fairly flat water and not much wind, but if you have any amount of wind, game over. You will do yourself well to go to a 24V system, if not all the way up to a 36V 101-105 thrust version.

tam0204
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tam0204 »

Ok, Thanks for the advice.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Check out the Motorguide motors as well.

You won't go wrong with a Minn Kota or a Motorguide, both great motors. The Motorguide interfaces with the Lowrance, so the decision may depend on what sounder you are running. The spot lock feature is better on the motorguide as it has 2 GPS sensors (compared to 1 in Minn Kota) and it has a transducer in the motor that can be hooked up to your sounder.

Everyone will have their own opinion, just do your research and be happy with your decision :)

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

MotorGuide, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Humminbird - so much good stuff, so hard to decide which to get! LOL