Sure is quiet around here...

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sure is quiet around here...

Post by Cracker Larry »

Aripeka Angler is also a fantastic captain, and one of the very few dam people in this world that I'd rely on 80 miles offshore in the dark, with waves breaking over the boat, or RORO ships heading for you, when I'm trying to sleep, but we've been there together :D

I've have seen him make just a few errors in weather forecasting though (it's laying down now :lol: ) But never seen an error in judgement in boat handling, in some really snotty stuff. Stuff that would pale many folks and have others throwing up :lol: Seen both. He's got me wet and cold, half drowned and beat up, but I was never concerned for my safety. And we've probably now spent an easy thousand or so ocean miles together. I trust him with my life. I don't say that lightly. And we always catch a fish or 3 :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q »

Uncle! :lol:
I now know without a doubt or hesitation why the chicken crossed the road.....

....it was to show the armadillo it could be done.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Not only did I see Larry coming back from a long trip in the Gulfstream but we know another OD builder (EvilDwarf) who took his OD16 back and forth to the Bahamas at least two times. At first I doubted him but the second time, he took pictures in Bimini.
There may be more.

The OD16/18 were designed with bad weather in mind. One of the goals was to have a boat that would safely handle a steep seas without risk of broaching.
We took the prototype in and out of the Ft Pierce inlet during a mean small craft advisory. I couldn't take pictures, I needed my two hands to hang on. Seeing us going back and forth, the USCG came out to see if we were in troubles but the OD16 handled it well.
The OD16/18 are very safe boats. You must slow down in bad weather and you still need some skills to handle them properly but don't judge them by the relatively low freeboard in the middle. The bow and stern are well protected.

My wife is easily scared on a boat but she loved the OD16 prototype. She kept saying that it feels like a much bigger boat and I agree with that.

Larry: that story about wearing masks and snorkel in bad weather gives us a good idea of the situation. I had to do that only once in my life but unlike you, I was on anchor. much easier. It was blowing so hard that I could not breathe facing the wind and I had to go out regularly to check the anchor. I prefer not think of the sea condition.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 012007.jpg

Boats can handle a lot with the right captain. The picture above is the ship I was on during my Navy days. She was 533' long and 64' at the beam. Name of CG-20 USS Richmond K Turner. As you can see the bridge windows are 45 above sea level and the radar domes are 60' or more.

We got caught in the north Atlantic coming back from above the artic circle keeping track of some other countries submarines :wink: . The weather really got bad and we started to take waves over the bow. Started at 20' building as the night went on. As I went off as officer of the deck the new OOD and I decided it would be wise to call the Captain as the waves were now breaking over the bridge windows. Any way long story short the storm lasted another 2 days and waves reached a height of 50', it was a cyclonic storm and it really didn't matter what ever direction we went. As the command ship with the Admiral on board we really tried to find the best course possible. It was probably the worse 3 days in my life. I wasn't sea sick but my room mate was he was either curled up around the jon or moaning in his bed so I didn't get much sleep.

Once it was over we didn't have much damage a few com antennas, but the smaller destroyers had major damage with radars torn off as well as coms.

For food the only thing the galley could cook was corned beef hash. :help:

Larry and Richard are super Captains and I have been out with both of them. Never had to worry about rough seas the times I went out as the seas were calm. But over the years I have known them you can believe what they say. :!:
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

TomW1 wrote:Boats can handle a lot with the right captain. The picture above is the ship I was on during my Navy days. She was 533' long and 64' at the beam. Name of CG-20 USS Richmond K Turner. As you can see the bridge windows are 45 above sea level and the radar domes are 60' or more. We got caught in the north Atlantic coming back from above the artic circle keeping track of some other countries submarines .
Quite the ship TomW1 8) Those Leahy Class cruisers packed an impressive punch. Keeping track of the "other countrie's submarines" is still a daily activity, even more so in these uncertain times. After listening to the ex-sailors here at DND and to have my time back, I would have enlisted in the Canadian Navy on the combat sytems officer side. The North Antlantic transits, multi-national patrols and sub chasing stories...should have listened to my dad :lol:

Marc

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

How much longer am I going to have to stretch the hull to fit these babies on it? :lol:

I never got seasick till I got to Lake Superior! :oops:
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early....

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald...no wonder you got sick on Superior, Rick.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gordonli ... erald.html

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wish I could say I never get seasick, but that would be a lie. There are people on here who have seen me throw up, and I've seen a few of them do it too :lol: I seldom get seasick, but it happens, and it's miserable when it does :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Cracker Larry wrote:I seldom get seasick, but it happens, and it's miserable when it does :help:
First, you worry you're going to die, and then you're afraid you won't.

Most people get sick. It's a bell curve and NASA has studied it intensely because astronauts get sick. Which is not good when things float around the cabin. Some minority never suffer, and some few can never get over it. But if you are one, like me, who occasionally gets sick, you can take solace in being in good company.
"I am ill every time it blows hard and nothing but my enthusiastic love for the profession keeps me one hour at sea." --Admiral Horatio Nelson
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I fished commercially for a number of years and never had a problem. When a deckhand would get seasick I had no sympathy I just thought hey this is costing me money. Well one day my turn in the barrel came :( I grew up a lot while hanging my head over the side. I now know it can happen to anyone at anytime. No body wants it to happen but it does, it is how do you deal with it that matters.
Fuzz