Canoe Project

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
bateau-webmaster

Re: Canoe Project

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Very cool build.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The decks and gunnels were stitched on the hull and have been tabbed in place with epoxy fillets. The wire stitches have been removed. The seat rails have received an epoxy fillet on top between the rail and hull after removing the stitch wires. A layer of 6 oz fiberglass cloth has been applied to the tops as well over the wet fillets. The bulkheads in the bow and stern have also received a layer of 6 oz fiberglass cloth after applying a fillet under the decks.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Trimmed the fiberglass cloth off of the seat brackets and the bulkheads. Added fillets and fiberglass cloth to the sides of the seat brackets. Also did some touch up work here and there, preparing for fiberglassing the outside of the hull.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I decided to begin fitting the yoke now. There is a lot of fabrication involved with the yoke. Many pieces of fiberglass and tape and fillets, etc. It is something I can work on concurrently with the other jobs. Gluing it up here will allow me to remove the stitches and begin the fiberglass work. That way if I have a little extra epoxy or fillet material I can quick put it on the thwart. I hate to mix up even a small batch of stuff only to waste some of it.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

That is a nice looking boat. If you need to mix small batches have you tried using syringes? Using 3cc syringes you can accurately mix tiny batches of epoxy. I often use 2cc of resin and 1cc of hardener and have yet to have a problem with it setting up.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Fred, thanks for the syringe idea. Haven't tried that one yet. I've got metering pumps on all of my epoxy resin and hardener containers now.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Who's design is that? Love the lines.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Spent a few hours today working on the canoe. Most of the time was spent applying an epoxy fillet and two layers of fiberglass tape to the undersides of the gunnels. Also, continued to glue up the thwart seams and removed the wire stitches in the seams previously glued up.

Capeman, the design is the Explorer 16 from Waters Dancing in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Spent time over the last couple of days applying fillets underneath the seat rails followed by two layers of two inch fiberglass tape in all of the seams. Will be applying cloth to the underside as well.

Also filleted and taped the deck to hull seams through the round hatch cutout in the bulkheads.

Finally worked on the thwart/yoke some more. Started to shape and round over the edges. Filleted wherever necessary and applied fiberglass tape over the filleted seams. Cut out the center portion as well. Will cover everything with a layer of cloth.

Taking a week off for a hunting trip. Back on the 20th.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Back home now and getting the canoe project rolling again. Applied 6oz fiberglass cloth to the exterior of the hull today followed by a fill coat of straight epoxy a few hours later. Tonight applied fiberglass tape along the keel as a sacrificial wear strip. Will trim everything up tomorrow and over the next couple of days apply similar wear strips to the stem of the bow and stern followed by another fill coat.