Canoe Project

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Canoe Project

Post by Browndog »

Got a lot done over the holiday weekend despite having to wait longer for epoxy to cure due to the cooler temps. The stem tapes are on. The exterior received another fill coat. Put some fiberglass cloth on two sides of the yoke/thwart. Finished fiberglassing underneath the seat supports. Began to do some sanding and fairing of the exterior hull around the keel tape and the stem tapes. Hopefully tomorrow I can put some fiberglass cloth on top of the gunwales and the bow and stern deck. It is the last of the fiberglassing jobs other than the yoke/thwart.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Browndog, send me some updated photos!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Ok Jeff, here are the latest photos of applying fiberglass cloth to the gunwales and bow and stern decks and the thwart/yoke.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Browndog, Really nice work!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Been working diligently on the canoe over the holidays. Trimmed all of the cloth on the decks and gunwales. Sanded the hull tape joint to feather it in a bit. Then added several fill coats of straight epoxy to the gunnels and decks. A couple more layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy on the thwart/yoke. The thwart is hollow, so I poured thickened epoxy down along all of the inside seams and put several layers of fiberglass tape and cloth inside as far as I could reach. Did a lot of little details like drilling out all the holes that were covered by fiberglass cloth on the seat support rails and for the handle ropes in the bow and stern. Then had to seal the holes with epoxy.

Finally got to clamp the yoke in place today, flip the canoe and fillet the seam between the yoke, gunwales and hull. Used very thick fillet mix and several layers of fiberglass tape and then cloth pieces. Probably six layers all together. All wetted out and installed wet on wet. This joint could take a lot of stress when portaging the canoe or if someone sits on the thwart. I wanted to be sure it will hold up. Once cured will flip the canoe and do the same to the top side.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Took advantage of a rainy day to do a little more work on the canoe. Added the stiffening strips under the gunwales on the port side. Will do the other side probably tomorrow. Didn't have enough clamps to do both sides at once. Will post a picture in the morning.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Finished installing the stiffener strips under the gunwales today.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Not sure if anyone is following this build anymore. I reached a major milestone. Got the last major piece of construction done tonight. Filleted the seam between the top of the yoke and the gunwales, then covered the seam with overlapping pieces of 6 oz fiberglass cloth. Will trim off the excess fiberglass tomorrow when the epoxy cures.

All that is left now is to do some detail work, like trim the fiberglass away from the gunwale cutouts and sand the stiffening strips flush with the gunwale edges where they are a little proud and then coat the edges again.

Lots of sanding and fairing to follow.

The bottom will get two coats of epoxy mixed with graphite powder. The top of the outer hull will get two coats of primer followed by three coats of System 3 Camano green WR-LPU paint.

The floor of the canoe will get cream Kiwi Grip non skid. The inner hullsides, decks, bulkheads, gunnels, seats and yoke will all get four coats of spar varnish.

Final tasks will be to install rope carry handles and bulkhead hatches.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Still watching. Nice looking boat.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I suspect you've got a pretty good audience out here.

Very nice work, all the parts fit so well- were they CNC cut or do you have a really steady hand with the saw?
Hank