Canoe Project

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Canoe Project

Post by Dougster »

Been watching and wondering how you do such neat work. Good luck on the graphite mix bottom coat. I put the first coat on my SK14 build yesterday and left heat on in the shop. It made the temp rise a bit in there and the mix started to bubble from out gassing. I caught it early and it's not too bad, but now I gotta wet sand/scrape it more than I would have. This is a tough time for the graphite thing because of the low temps. BTW, that yoke looks great.

Dougster

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The parts were cut out with a CNC machine, then trimmed and sanded, edges beveled by hand.

This morning I trimmed the excess fiberglass cloth off of the yoke, but the epoxy was still too green to sand.

I was able to clear all 24 of the drainage hole cutouts on the gunwales in about 30 minutes with a Dremel tool with a cutting bit. They were covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy top and bottom. Will have to sand the fiberglass edges to clean them up. In one of the pictures you can also see the stiffening strip peeking out from underneath the gunwale. I will sand those flush, round off the bottom edge and then recoat all of the edges with epoxy.

The comment about neat work is partly a function of editing which pictures to show. :D There were a lot of epoxy drips from this latest task where I wasn't able to come back soon enough to catch them and now I'll have to sand them down.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Got the canoe hull sanded one time around with 80 grit. Will go around it one more time and then hit it with 120 grit in preparation for epoxy graphite on the bottom and system three primer on the sides.

Can't seem to upload a picture right now. Getting some weird error message. Will post pictures once it is resolved.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Browndog, if you continue to have problems loading photo's, email Jamie: jamie@e-boat.net He will assist you. Our upgrade of the Forum software last Saturday left us with a few problems but we are resolving everyday!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Got the photo upload thing to work again. I have gone around the canoe twice now with the 80 grit and once around with the 120 grit. Rinsed her off, wiped her down and let the rain bathe her a little bit. Put her back in the garage to dry and will use some quickfair on some spots tomorrow and finish sanding the hull hopefully.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

The sanding on the hull is done. Applied Quick Fair to the areas on the ends where there are multiple fiberglass overlays to smooth things out and then sanded those areas. First time using Quick Fair. Really liked it. A little bit goes a long way and it sets up very quickly, even in the cooler temps I had today. Sands really well too.

Taped the bottom in preparation for the epoxy graphite coating to be applied tomorrow.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Applied two coats of epoxy with graphite to the bottom so far. Still a little transparent in a couple areas. Will do one more coat tonight.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice job BrownDog!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Got the third coat on and it really darkened it up nicely. Lots of dust in the second coat but didn't see a real need to allow the coating to cure enough to sand since it will all rub off anyways. It was good enough for me.

Will allow this third coat to cure and then tape it off so that I can put two coats of System Three primer on the sides.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Retaped the hull to protect the epoxy graphite coating and then I put three light coats of the System Three Silver Tip Yacht Primer on the sides of the hull.

Looks good although there may be some areas that are a little lighter, due to uneven roller pressure. Considering sanding a few spots where there appears to be some dust or bug specks. Also had a few pinholes show up here and there that I will fill with Quick Fair tomorrow.

Been trying to take pictures from the same vantage point to kind of show a time lapse of the process.