Fishing South Padre Island

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Fishing South Padre Island

Post by Steven »

I'm pulling the OB19 down to South Padre Island the 3rd week of July. I'm familiar with fishing Port A. Done a lot of trolling the inlet for Kings using Ribbon fish, and bottom fishing around the jetties with shrimp. Do similar methods work in Padre? Any suggestions welcomed. Our entire family will be going for the Great Grand parents anniversary, so I need some tips for easy fishing with inexperienced folks. I have a condo on the bay with a slip about 2 miles from the pass. Does bottom fishing around the bridge piers with shrimp produce? Any near shore structure in the Gulf worth fishing?

Gino
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Fishing South Padre Island

Post by Gino »

Email me
Gino@ginotx.com

You might consider coming further north to Port Mansfield. It's about hour north by car back roads.
Gino

Steven

Post by Steven »

Heading out in a week. Can't wait. With all that's been going on, haven't had the boat out much. I'm going to take it out a few times to make sure it's all good to go. Looks like moderate winds from S/SE most of the week. Inlet point due East, so hopefully, nice water.

swglenn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swglenn »

You might check on 2coolfishing.com for info on South Padre.

Steven

Post by Steven »

We had a good trip. Pulled up some 40" Kings. Got my wife's uncles and cousins all hooked up except one. First day out and didn't find the pattern. There were all guys that had never been in a small boat in anything other than a lake. So quite the good time. Was doing just catch and release, and netting those big suckers is not easy, especially with a net too small to do the job. Netted the first one and he ate a big hole right through the net. Second one my son caught was every bit of 4'. I grabbed it by the tail and almost had it over the side when it thrashed loose and threw the hook. Got some more boat side, and one more in the boat. Great memories. Wife's uncle with his fish.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice King! 8)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice catch and great photo on the water!! Jeff