Evinrude ETEC G2

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Evinrude ETEC G2

Post by BarraMan »

They have no umph off the line
Yeah, my Yammie takes a whole boat length to put my 22' boat on the plane!

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

I can only say that the DI 2 strokes, optimal and e-tecs have a totally different low end torque than yamaha 4 strokes. i have waterskied behind a bunch of comparable boats, and the optimax and e-tecs pull like nothing else compared to a 4 stroke.... if you dont plan on pulling a skier and only want to choice and fish, get a 4 stroke... but of holeshot and pulling is a concern go for an etc or optimax

the 4 strokes struggle to pull from still and waiting for the boat to come on plane and settle is frustrating while half way out of the water....

the 4 strokes are quieter and fuel consumption is reportedly about the same with the new e-tecs

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

deuce_454 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:26 am the optimax and e-tecs pull like nothing else compared to a 4 stroke....
That's not strange it's a fact a 2 stroke is just more powerful as a 4 stroke because they fire once every revolution.

topwater

Post by topwater »

The G2 and the Etec are two different animals. The etec is an old engine design with fuel injection. The G2 is a totally redesigned
engine for use with direct injection. Bombardier bought evinrude awhile ago and is getting rid of all the old technology . A ton
of design work was done with the help of Milwaukee School of Engineering . I use to own an Evinrude Ficht 150 , i had that engine
for 12 years and never had a problem with it . But that being said it was not a very good engine for a lot of people and Evinrude had
problems with it . If Evinrude made a 115 HP G2 last year i would have bought it ,awesome technology .
Novi 23 finally launched !

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

I agree... and yes the DI 2 stroke are totalt redesigned ... the and if you want pulling/holeshot no 4 stroke compares... not even the verados

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

deuce_454 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:26 am the 4 strokes struggle to pull from still and waiting for the boat to come on plane and settle is frustrating while half way out of the water....
You haven"t skied behind a Yamaha Vmax SHO, huh?

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

no but behind a 150 yamaha 4 stroke on a RIB... but with enough HP on a light boat it makes no difference, but it is a fact that 2 strokes have more low end torque..

and im not calling your boat slow, im responding to the topic of the post. namely is there a difference in performance from comparatively power rated outboards, and before you test a 200 Hp G2 evinrude on your boat well never know .. i will however accept a tow if im the area :wink:

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

deuce_454 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 pm no but behind a 150 yamaha 4 stroke on a RIB... but with enough HP on a light boat it makes no difference, but it is a fact that 2 strokes have more low end torque..

and im not calling your boat slow, im responding to the topic of the post. namely is there a difference in performance from comparatively power rated outboards, and before you test a 200 Hp G2 evinrude on your boat well never know .. i will however accept a tow if im the area :wink:
Yep that's what I said/thought
Here some "results" with a Yamaha Vmax SHO

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qExFj_EVmOQ[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/KOpZydgTpcY[/youtube]
Last edited by peter-curacao on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

DAYUM! That Yamaha got it's butt handed to it! I looked forward to going to test drive the G2 at some point. :wink:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I believe all the major manufacturers are building good products today. For me it would boil down to the dealer and parts availability. I just took my Suzuki kicker in to our local dealer. Based on the cost and service I received I would have a hard time buying from anyone else. As a side note I got a quote on a new 150 of $11,500 plus rigging of something under $2000 depending on rigging style. Not sure how that compares to other areas but it seemed pretty darn good to me.