Killing time

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Killing time

Post by Fuzz »

Or you could go another way. Sort of like what MajorGator said. Buy one gun, shoot it enough to get to know it better than SWMBO's backside. Don't matter how many guns you have if you can not call your shot with it under duress. There has only been one gun go hunting with me for the past 30 years or more. And this is coming from a guy with way too many guns.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:28 am Or you could go another way. Sort of like what MajorGator said. Buy one gun, shoot it enough to get to know it better than SWMBO's backside. Don't matter how many guns you have if you can not call your shot with it under duress. There has only been one gun go hunting with me for the past 30 years or more. And this is coming from a guy with way too many guns.
Good bit of truth here. If you can't hit with it, you should not rely on it. :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That’s how I do things. Will only keep 4. Hand, shot, <300yd, >200yd. Right now just the 40 that needs to be replaced after a few ammo orders. If you aren’t able to run a gnat castration service with your firearms you need more practice.

I think that’s how CL said it once...

Anywho, I’m more a fan of the wooden stocks. The browning and remmington of nearly a century ago. Problem is that these days no one makes real metal firearms like that. Way to much composite for my SHTF concerns. Which leave me with AR since everyone and their unborn children have AR down here.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 am That’s how I do things. Will only keep 4. Hand, shot, <300yd, >200yd. Right now just the 40 that needs to be replaced after a few ammo orders. If you aren’t able to run a gnat castration service with your firearms you need more practice.

Anywho, I’m more a fan of the wooden stocks. The browning and remmington of nearly a century ago. Problem is that these days no one makes real metal firearms like that. Way to much composite for my SHTF concerns. Which leave me with AR since everyone and their unborn children have AR down here.
I like wood just fine. The thing is there is no old growth wood around any more. The grain of what's out there is a joke, it warps and will not hold it's shape. Best bet for the feel of wood are laminates.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:28 am Or you could go another way. Sort of like what MajorGator said. Buy one gun, shoot it enough to get to know it better than SWMBO's backside. Don't matter how many guns you have if you can not call your shot with it under duress. There has only been one gun go hunting with me for the past 30 years or more. And this is coming from a guy with way too many guns.
In the past 15 years, every deer I've killed has been with the same Ruger 30-06. No need to switch it up. Before that, it was a Winchester .308 which I still intend on using again...but just always grab the 30-06. All but a handful of birds I've ever shot has been with the same over/under Charles Daly. So that's less than a handful of guns used for the vast majority of all hunting activities. So all the rest are just for my entertainment, I guess :D
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Eric1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 am
Jaysen wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 am That’s how I do things. Will only keep 4. Hand, shot, <300yd, >200yd. Right now just the 40 that needs to be replaced after a few ammo orders. If you aren’t able to run a gnat castration service with your firearms you need more practice.

I like wood just fine. The thing is there is no old growth wood around any more. The grain of what's out there is a joke, it warps and will not hold it's shape. Best bet for the feel of wood are laminates.
Friend of mine just bought a brand new Browning .308 semi-auto. Beautiful gun, nicely finished, quite pricey.......MADE IN CHINA :help:
See my XF20 Build Thread

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

majorgator wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 am
Eric1 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 am

Friend of mine just bought a brand new Browning .308 semi-auto. Beautiful gun, nicely finished, quite pricey.......MADE IN CHINA :help:
Hence my "nearly a century ago" qualification. I've my eye on a few here that are more "estate liquidations" that might get me what I want.

In my food getter times All I had was a 22lr for anything smaller than dear. Amazing what you can do with well placed lead. For deer it was bow or 30-06. Lost the option on the 30-06 to a distraught aunt who sold it before we could keep it in the family. Can't remember when it was made, but it was old. Heavy and old. I'd hate to be the outside guy who steals someone else's family heirloom but... I might have to.

But we digress. and we all agree on
1. get good with something and hang on
2. Ammo in qty is your friend
3. My wife still has Fuzz at the top of the list of "bad influences"
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

If that's the case, it's a good thing y'all didn't make it to some of the early builder's meets. :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am
If that's the case, it's a good thing y'all didn't make it to some of the early builder's meets. :lol:
Mrs was eager to get to the meet this year. Had her list of who's wife she needed to collude with to ensure all us menfolk were properly reined in. Some how she's under the impression that Fuzz's Mrs keeps him on a tight leash. I was thrilled when she realized she couldn't go back in June. Then this whole work thing and... She is coming around to the idea that I need another build or a place to stash lil but here or I'll continue to be an obnoxious twit taking up space in the house.

She recently deepsixed my acquisition of a small lathe and mill for ... steam engine machining. Tony is a CLOSE second to Fuzz right now.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :help: :help: :help: :help:
See my XF20 Build Thread