Paddles

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Paddles

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Very nice work on the paddle! 8)
Have you considered glassing the blade? Glass would prevent the blade from ever cracking.
I used 3 ounce surfboard cloth on my strip canoe and faired with clear epoxy. You can't see the glass, it's completely transparent.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

That is some kind of beautiful. I actually jumped on the site early this morning to ask if anyone had a good paddle plan and ended up seeing this. Stunning. I was hoping to maybe have a winter project as I wait for some warm weather but man you set the bar very high for paddle making. Great job. By the way, was this all planned in your mind or did/do you have any links to some good paddle plans. Thanks and awesome job!

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:42 am Very nice work on the paddle! 8)
Have you considered glassing the blade? Glass would prevent the blade from ever cracking.
I used 3 ounce surfboard cloth on my strip canoe and faired with clear epoxy. You can't see the glass, it's completely transparent.
Thanks for the compliment. I did consider glassing it but wasn't sure how well glass would make it round the edges and how to fair things. I was going to route out the end and infil with epoxy/woodflour to form a rockguard but couldn't be arsed to dig out a router and make noise. It was a quiet and calm, hand-tools only job

Madgar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:23 am That is some kind of beautiful. I actually jumped on the site early this morning to ask if anyone had a good paddle plan and ended up seeing this. Stunning. I was hoping to maybe have a winter project as I wait for some warm weather but man you set the bar very high for paddle making. Great job. By the way, was this all planned in your mind or did/do you have any links to some good paddle plans. Thanks and awesome job!
Thanks. I got the design outline from a book;

“Canoe Paddles A Complete Guide to Making Your Own by Graham Warren”

It was about ten quid, I think

It does go into a lot of detail about where different paddles originate from and has tables of off-sets for maybe 10 designs. I plotted out a couple and made half blade templates using some 3mm UPVC sheet I had kicking about. I have modified it somewhat though, it's a lot sturdier than the one you'd make from the book. I wanted a paddle that looked quite refined but is a bit of a basher; some of the bits of river I have been doing are full of fallen trees parts are choked with weed. This paddle will be paddle, push-stick and pole, rolled into one.

Making a paddle won't keep you busy for winter though, you'll have to make a few :-)

I think, not including varnishing, this only owes me about six hours and that is at a reasonably relaxed rate of work. It was satisfying though.

I gave it another coat of varnish tonight. Maybe only a couple more to go.

I am going to make a few different sized, one-piece, kids paddles and maybe an adjustable length one.............When I find some wood.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

if you are going to create an epoxy "edger" then you only really need to go as far as the edge with the glass. you can also choose to glass "up to the round" as much as it will bend nice nice and then trim it back and sand to a smooth transition from glass to wood. use a lighter glass tape to make the radius or even chopped thickened epoxy to make it even smoother.

That's what I think I'd do anyway. I'm too lazy to make a paddle right now though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks to good for a daily user much less rough service!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Beautiful work. Makes me want to learn about making some paddles now.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Finished applying varnish ( that really is quite tedious to do ) so ready to splash about with now.

Don't think it'll be this week though, bit too Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Attachments
26055746_2045642245668632_2022796700806941203_n.jpg
26055731_2045642269001963_1808997253735912174_n.jpg
26166202_2045642295668627_4405917326884263419_n.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice work!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Really beautiful. :D
Tony

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Looks absolutely amazing mate, fantastic job.
Alan.