Christer's planning-to-build-a boat-at-some-point thread

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Christer's planning-to-build-a boat-at-some-point thread

Post by Christer »

This will be my "planning to build a boat at some point" thread. It will also serve as a sort of notebook for myself for things I should remember but likely won't. There will be ramblings about designs I like, things that bother me with the designs I like and various other more or less coherent thoughts regarding boats and building. There will be designs from both Bateau and other designers, if this is a big no-no at this point, I'll make a blog instead, but there is so much knowledge on this forum that I'd like to tap into the collective knowledgebase to be as prepared for the build as I can be.

First things first.

I have measured my mooring berth today, and I was happy to find it was a lot wider than anticipated. I thought it would be around 290-300cm wide (9.5-9.8ft), but it was actually 340cm (11.15ft) wide. That is the narrowest point between the bumpers, but it should be possible to squeeze in a 9.5-10ft wide boat with some care.

Second thing is which boat I want. Problem is, there are too many to choose from. Also, I'm not entirely sure what I want in and from a boat, except that it floats and the engine works every time I want to take it out. So, I tried to make a list of requirements, a SOR of sorts.

Program:
- Recreational fishing trips with friends and family, mostly protected waters
- Exploration of local area, picnics on beaches and islands
- Day trips (no overnighting)

Here are my wishes in no particular order or preference; list is subject to change:
- Must be able to carry 8 passengers (4 adults and 4 kids) safely and comfortably
- Fuel efficient / low power requirements
- Would prefer a cat hull
- Must have a head
- Miniature galley would be nice, if for nothing else than being able to make a cup of coffee while at sea.
- Small fridge for drinks and food
- Center console with windscreen and some way of wrapping walls around for shelter from the weather, alternatively a (lockable) pilothouse with seating
- Lots of lockable, watertight storage for life vests, drafts, fishing gear, etc that is cumbersome to carry to and from the boat every time
- Benches in cockpit that fold together into transom/gunwales for better use of cockpit while fishing
- Beachable for picnics
- Hullside access door, ideally with access gangway and/or swim ladder
- Max length 26ft, max beam at waterline 10ft
- Would like to see 30 knots top speed with just me on board. Family speed would be about half of that. Would also be nice to still be on plane at that speed because fuel costs are ludicrous over here. Ludicrous to the point where owning a petrol fueled boat is a sure way to financial disaster. We're looking at around US$8/gallon at the moment. Will look into diesel outboards when the time comes. OXE, I'm looking at you. Get your products on the market.

I don't need fish boxes, washdown hoses, livewells or any such things.
Last edited by Christer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Christer's planning-to-build-a boat-at-some-point thread

Post by Christer »

The designs I have been looking at, are the following:

Bateau.com Classic 21 (C21)

Classic, open offshore fishing boat. 21' by 8'6". Dual console/bowrider is tempting. Stitch & glue (S&G) ply composite.

Bateau.com Carolina Sportfish 25 (CS25)

25' by 8'6" Carolina style offshore V-hull fishing boat. Interior customizable. I love the lines. S&G ply composite.

Bateau.com Cat 22 (CT22)

22' by 8'3" power cat based on NoosaCat/SharkCat lines. Interior somewhat customizable. S&G ply composite.

Bateau.com Lobster Boat 26 (LB26)

26' by 8'6". Inboard, classic looking powerboat. Love the looks and lines. S&G ply or foam composite.

Richard Woods Jazz 30 Fishing Catamaran (Jazz 30)

Fishing power cat, 30'x14'. Fuel efficient with relatively small outboards. Not super fast. S&G ply or foam composite.

Richard Woods Skoota 24 (SK24)

24'x12' power cat. Folds for storage and towing. S&G ply or foam composite.

Glen-L Party Boat

20'6" or 22' open deck boat. 8'3" beam. Max 200HP outboard. Interior customizable. Ply on frame.

Glen-L Wildcat E-X-T Sport

20', 22' or 24' by 8'6" power cat. Interior customizable. 90-230 total HP. Ply on frame.

Glen-L Bear-Cat Sport

24'6", 25'6" or 27'10" by 10' power cat. Interior customizable. 150-400 total HP. Ply on frame.

BlueJacket Boats’ Bluejacket 24/25.5/27/27.1

24/25/25.5/27' classic looking power cruiser. Very fuel efficient and gets good speed even with relatively small outboard. S&G ply composite.

I will discuss the pros and cons of each in separate posts.

Regardless of which boat I end up with, I'll have to make minor or major modifications to the interior of it to accommodate for typical west coast Norway weather - cold, wet or cold and wet. Even if the weather's nice when heading out, it changes quickly and it can rain cats & dogs and be quite windy on the way back, so some sort of shelter from the elements is required. It doesn't necessarily have to be a permanent structure, fold-up windows/walls will work.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Maybe JM can comment.... In a previous post you mentioned a dislike for I/O boats. The LB26 might be outboard capable with a bracket. I mention that as I've been thinking it would be one of the better options for the program you mention. I know you've a preference for the cats, but the LB seems like the more enjoyable with the access to the big blue you've mentioned.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 am Maybe JM can comment.... In a previous post you mentioned a dislike for I/O boats. The LB26 might be outboard capable with a bracket. I mention that as I've been thinking it would be one of the better options for the program you mention. I know you've a preference for the cats, but the LB seems like the more enjoyable with the access to the big blue you've mentioned.
Honestly, I have no experience with inboards, but from what I gather, they can be more finicky and are more difficult to service because they are inside a small engine box. Should I venture that way, I would get a reasonably new, if not brand new, engine to go with the boat to postpone eventual problems for as long as possible.

Even if the LB26 was outboardable, I wouldn't want to do it, as it ruins the looks and lines of the boat.
Last edited by Christer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

5 gallon bucket makes for the perfect head and why a fridge if no overnighting? Cooler works all day and you would not have to have a large power source. You also seem to narrow down cabin or open boat. How do you see a head working in an open boat? Have you looked at the "Nina 22" ? I think it is a 22' boat that should be considered. Low power requirements, good in rough seas if need be and can carry a number of people. (read the review on it)
https://bateau.com/studyplans/LB22_study.php?prod=LB22
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 am 5 gallon bucket makes for the perfect head and why a fridge if no overnighting? Cooler works all day and you would not have to have a large power source. You also seem to narrow down cabin or open boat. How do you see a head working in an open boat? Have you looked at the "Nina 22" ? I think it is a 22' boat that should be considered. Low power requirements, good in rough seas if need be and can carry a number of people. (read the review on it)
https://bateau.com/studyplans/LB22_study.php?prod=LB22
The bucket method works for me, but not the girls :)

If open boat/center console, the head would be stashed inside the console like peter-curacao did in his CS25. A dual console with a canopy/soft top is on the table as well, and if I end up with a cat, the hull depth should be plenty to allow a head with almost standing room.

Fridge isn't really needed, no. I was just thinking cold beer, but they can easily go in a separate cooler.

I've looked at the Nina, but the design didn't really do much for me. I'm also after a boat with a potential higher top speed. Realistic speeds with family onboard is usually quite a ways off the top speed, at least in the boats we've had so far.
Last edited by Christer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 am Maybe JM can comment....
I"ll wait for the dust to settle.
If it was possible to design a boat that satisfies all those preferences, I would draw it right away and sell thousands of plans.

See this:
http://bateau2.com/faq.php
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Surprised, based on some of your wants, that you haven't looked at the Pilot 21.

https://bateau.com/studyplans/P21_study.php?prod=P21

Or the CX25

https://bateau.com/studyplans/CX25_study.php?prod=CX25

Both can accommodate the number of passengers you list, have a head, are protected, and have a berth where kids could lay down.
Not sure on the P21, but the study guide on the CX shows a small galley and a head. From the study guide on the CX:
"The head is isolated from the cabin by a real door, not a curtain. The galley can accommodate a fridge, sink and stove. Headroom is close to 6' under the companion way hatch and there is comfortable sitting headroom over the vee berth. There is ample room for tanks: fresh water and waste."
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 am
Jaysen wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 am Maybe JM can comment....
I"ll wait for the dust to settle.
If it was possible to design a boat that satisfies all those preferences, I would draw it right away and sell thousands of plans.

See this:
http://bateau2.com/faq.php
I realize I'm asking for a lot, but I am willing to compromise on many things as long as it still looks a bit like I envisioned. And that is the point of this thread - whittle down my over the top wants and expectations to something realistic.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

How about setting a budget? Some of the large boats cost 5 times more to build than the small ones.
Then, pick a building method and material.
Some of those plans are 60 years old and designed fro old fashioned ply on frame.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com