Christer's planning-to-build-a boat-at-some-point thread

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Christer's planning-to-build-a boat-at-some-point thread

Post by jacquesmm »

Christer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 am
Or, if I could talk Jacques into redesigning the CT22 for me like the PartyCat I pictured earlier, that'd be sweet. :)
No need to redesign anything. Your sketch is very close to my design. As long as you keep the main frames, you can do what you want with the seating.
There are two obstacles: the head and the main beam.
I don't think the Glen-L head is realistic, nobody can fit in there. Build a cardboard mock-up, you"ll see.
The Glen-L boat has a much lower bridge deck. That boat will slam in any kind of weather but it keeps the transversal girder below the deck and allows for that bow rider style seating.
You can do that with the CT22 if you accept the slamming. I wouldn't.

The main limiting factor is the head.
On the GP21, I propose a folding head, same as on some pontoon boats. It works, I had one on one of my boats.
Cat hulls are very narrow for a good head. A large console in a vee hull works better but despite what you see advertised, you have to go up to 23' to have enough room. It can be done in a C21 but it's tight.

At first you showed the DE23 in your choices. That would solve all problems and it is a very nice boat.
There are smaller ones like the P21.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Shrinking the beam on cats is unwise.

There are a number of reasons.

Bow wake interference.

Creating turbulent water for engines.

And no matter what, never sacrifice bdeck clearance.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:55 pm Shrinking the beam on cats is unwise.
Correct, don't.

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am
Christer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:59 am
Or, if I could talk Jacques into redesigning the CT22 for me like the PartyCat I pictured earlier, that'd be sweet. :)
No need to redesign anything. Your sketch is very close to my design. As long as you keep the main frames, you can do what you want with the seating.
There are two obstacles: the head and the main beam.
Can the main beam be moved forward a bit to allow the seating arrangement I showed? What if the overall beam of the boat was extended to say, 9ft? Or the whole thing scaled 10% for that matter.
jacquesmm wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am I don't think the Glen-L head is realistic, nobody can fit in there. Build a cardboard mock-up, you"ll see.
I actually found a picture of a Bearcat built as a tour boat, and it had a porta-potty dead center on the deck. Not very pretty - or private. Then again, privacy on a small boat is pretty much impossible.
jacquesmm wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am The Glen-L boat has a much lower bridge deck. That boat will slam in any kind of weather but it keeps the transversal girder below the deck and allows for that bow rider style seating.
You can do that with the CT22 if you accept the slamming. I wouldn't.
One of the reasons for wanting a catamaran is a softer ride with less slamming, so no, I wouldn't accept that either.
jacquesmm wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am The main limiting factor is the head.
On the GP21, I propose a folding head, same as on some pontoon boats. It works, I had one on one of my boats.
Cat hulls are very narrow for a good head. A large console in a vee hull works better but despite what you see advertised, you have to go up to 23' to have enough room. It can be done in a C21 but it's tight.
I found a good candidate in a maritime catalog from a local shop yesterday. It's a 12V composting toilet with a height of around 40cm. That should be possible to pop under a seat behind some form of cover around for the illusion of privacy. Most times it'll only be myself and my family on the boat, and for those other times the rest will just have to look in another direction and whistle. :)
jacquesmm wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am At first you showed the DE23 in your choices. That would solve all problems and it is a very nice boat.
There are smaller ones like the P21.
I've looked closely at those boats and I feel they tip over into weekenders with sleeping accommodation and all that. I honestly can't see us ever sleeping on the boat - the dragon isn't much of a boat person, so her coming along at all is quite impressive. She also gets cold easily and thus wants to go home to a hot shower. Thus the big selling point of the boat is kind of moot, at least for what we would be using it for.

Then again, currently NOT having the option of doing a sleepover at a nice little island prevents us from even trying the experience, so who knows? If I built such a boat, maybe we would start using it more and differently from what we've done so far.

They are very nice boats, though.
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Maybe you should stop looking at boats with cabins as campers and start looking at them as boats with a she shed. A comfortable place to use the restroom with real privacy and the ability to wash up afterwards like in a real rest room. Wouldn't take much to add a small sink, pressure activated pump and a 5 gallon fresh water tank with a grey water holding tank. Instead of rushing off the water due to getting cold the she shed could hold extra warm clothing, blankets and have a day bed that can be extra seating when you guys have guests. It could also store a small portable stove to make grill cheese sandwiches with tomato soup or some other quick snack or hot beverages. they make a few that clamp to the railing. Guys fishing off the stern while the women are talking in the she shed! It is also an instant shelter if the weather changes quickly. Sounds like you guys want to go out and enjoy boating, why not make it comfortable?

My second wife was English, she loved going out on the boat but ever so often I had to stop everything and heat her up some water for her tea. We would pack a duffel bag with tea, stove, sugar and biscuits (cookies) along with the boating gear that we didn't leave on the boat.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:41 pm Maybe you should stop looking at boats with cabins as campers and start looking at them as boats with a she shed. A comfortable place to use the restroom with real privacy and the ability to wash up afterwards like in a real rest room. Wouldn't take much to add a small sink, pressure activated pump and a 5 gallon fresh water tank with a grey water holding tank. Instead of rushing off the water due to getting cold the she shed could hold extra warm clothing, blankets and have a day bed that can be extra seating when you guys have guests. It could also store a small portable stove to make grill cheese sandwiches with tomato soup or some other quick snack or hot beverages. they make a few that clamp to the railing. Guys fishing off the stern while the women are talking in the she shed! It is also an instant shelter if the weather changes quickly. Sounds like you guys want to go out and enjoy boating, why not make it comfortable?

My second wife was English, she loved going out on the boat but ever so often I had to stop everything and heat her up some water for her tea. We would pack a duffel bag with tea, stove, sugar and biscuits (cookies) along with the boating gear that we didn't leave on the boat.
Good idea OQ.
You don't have to have the berth if you don't want it. You can make the cabin whatever you wish it to be (as long as the weight is comparable).
Without the berth you have all kinds of room for comforts she would enjoy. Heck, even a small marine heater to warm the cabin up. Larger head and a cooktop like OQ mentions.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, no berths, just a very large head (bathroom). Wives love that: shower, powder room, lots of shelves for their fancy little bottles of perfumed stuff.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Wow! 8O

Spent some time the past 2 days on the Glen forum looking at builds. They have some beautiful boats and I understand some of the reasons why they need to do what they do but...WOW, looking at the framing system, compound cuts, relying on metal fasteners, bolts and what not they look more involved as building a hurricane house to code! I'm sorry but even for simple boats that's way more involved than the simple jigs we see here (IMO only). Don't get me wrong, if built correctly and sealed up, I'm sure they'll last generations but JM's designs will do the same thing with a much simpler build and way (I mean WAY) lighter build (and just as strong).
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

piperdown wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 pm Wow! 8O

Spent some time the past 2 days on the Glen forum looking at builds. They have some beautiful boats and I understand some of the reasons why they need to do what they do but...WOW, looking at the framing system, compound cuts, relying on metal fasteners, bolts and what not they look more involved as building a hurricane house to code! I'm sorry but even for simple boats that's way more involved than the simple jigs we see here (IMO only). Don't get me wrong, if built correctly and sealed up, I'm sure they'll last generations but JM's designs will do the same thing with a much simpler build and way (I mean WAY) lighter build (and just as strong).
Right.

I said as much on the methods thread.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm
piperdown wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 pm Wow! 8O

Right.

I said as much on the methods thread.
Yes you did. But until I saw what was involved...who whee!
Eric (aka, piperdown)