Christer's planning-to-build-a boat-at-some-point thread

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Christer's planning-to-build-a boat-at-some-point thread

Post by jacquesmm »

That program brings us back to a DE23 or a P21.
I have made that crossing many years ago and it can get real though with the currents.
I agree that you need more than an open boat unless you stick to good summer days.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Christer »

jacquesmm wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:44 am That program brings us back to a DE23 or a P21.
I have made that crossing many years ago and it can get real though with the currents.
I agree that you need more than an open boat unless you stick to good summer days.
Yes, it does indeed. I also noticed the OP21 as a possible candidate. It leaves a bit more room in the cockpit while still being possible to button up with a soft top when the weather gets rough. I've only ever crossed on the ferries between Norway and Denmark, and it can get plenty rough even on those.

In any case we'll need to move first and get everything in order before I can start building anything. Hopefully I'll get to start my build before I get too old to enjoy the boat... :)
8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Christer congrats on the wife's move. Yep take it slow and wait till you get there. That crossing can be nasty went through it twice while I was in our Navy once no problem, once when it's current and winds decided to throw up 20' waves :lol: I was officer of the deck on a 695' GMC at night that second time.

Good luck on the move and we will hear from you when you are ready to get started again.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Two big positive aspects of this development:

1) sounds like your life is suddenly defined by this move; every decision will get slotted in around the parameters of the relocation, including building budget and space,

2) now you have a specific set of requirements for the boat and you can scrap a ton of possibilities that would definitely not work.

My suggestion remains the same: once settled, build the small boat for your daughter and enjoy the experience of building again. While you sand, you can daydream about the next project. I used to make most of my big decisions while bicycling, precisely because I had enforced thinking time.

Good luck with the move!
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349