Boat names and nautical puns?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Boat names and nautical puns?

Post by Bogieman »

Is there any sort consensus about boat names with nautical puns? Is it clever or corny? What do you guys think?

I have finally come up with the perfect name for my Adelie 16 and it can be done with or without the nautical pun...

Any and all thoughts / opinions welcome.

Happy New Year,

Bogie

MisterD83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Boat names and nautical puns?

Post by MisterD83 »

Anywhere I go I like to be the sparty pants guy that everyone else basically facepalms, laughs, " ba dump dump" (poor comedy drums), and / or the verbal reaction of "really??"

I keep tossing between "Reefer", "Sea Ya Later", and "I Sea Fish". Once mine is built and becomes alive I'll know for sure her name.

Derek
Any day that you learn is a day you are alive.

A bad day on the water still beats a good day at work.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

MisterD83 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:56 pm Anywhere I go I like to be the sparty pants guy that everyone else basically facepalms, laughs, " ba dump dump" (poor comedy drums), and / or the verbal reaction of "really??"

I keep tossing between "Reefer", "Sea Ya Later", and "I Sea Fish". Once mine is built and becomes alive I'll know for sure her name.

Derek
:lol: Thanks for chiming in.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Not to long ago I asked about naming boats and got a few replies on the subject.
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... boat+names
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:52 pm Not to long ago I asked about naming boats and got a few replies on the subject.
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... boat+names
Thanks, OQ! Happy New Year!

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

Well when I had my PH 16 My son and I came up with "Sport'n A Woody" Captured a lot of looks and comments when driving down the road. :lol:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Reefer Fish
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Here's an inside joke for philosophers: The great 20th century philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein produced a famous argument concerning "private language." Crudely, the point was that there are no actual words that have meaning only to the person speaking. It's more involved than that and maybe he's right and maybe he isn't but he concludes that there is no such thing as a private language. So, I thought Private Language would be a good boat name--not for offshore, though. For those unfamiliar with Wittgenstein, it seems mysterious and mystical. For those who do know him, it constitutes a rebuttal of his conclusion that there is no private language.
Two points about David Luddick's post concerning golf-related names. One is that our club owns a nice Beneteau 37 that I take out from time to time named Off Course that sports a graphic of, if I recall, a couple of clubs and a pin. I admit the name puts me off. I get that it's a double entendre, but it also has the unfortunate self-deprecating suggestion that the captain doesn't know how to navigate. I would not want to hail the Coast Guard with such a name.
The second point is this: Did you know that golfers stole the word "fairway" from sailors? We had it first.
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks all! It seems the consensus lies somewhere in the middle.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The way I see it, I will be the first to say I am lost when it comes to sailor stuff even though I now have an encyclopedia and a dictionary on boating, it is your boat and naming it is your choice. If you are comfortable with it than own it. I know once the name of a boat is known and documented there is a whole ritual/solemn ceremony that you have to go through to rename it or the boat will always bring the owner bad luck. :D

fairway: the middle of the channel (I looked it up!)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne