How hard is it to pull start a 2 or 4 stroke 15-25/30 hp?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

How hard is it to pull start a 2 or 4 stroke 15-25/30 hp?

Post by Capt UB »

It's been a long time since I have had to pull start an outboard!!

There are a few great deals for 15-25/30 outboards, even on this forum.
The ones I feel are good motors (seller would water test outboard) are all pull start. Cost too much to add electric start.

So, help me out here.... How hard is it to pull start a 2 or 4 stroke 15-25/30 hp?

Thanks,
Bob.

I'm an old mean guy! :?

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How hard is it to pull start a 2 or 4 stroke 15-25/30 hp?

Post by silentneko »

It's not, it's just a PITA every time you move spots. Especially on boats with large rear decks or poling platforms.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

Well, there's a bit of a difference between pulling on a 15 and pulling on a 30! I've been pull starting 15's since I was a kid and 50+ years later they're still no problem. Bigger engines demand a bit of respect. At the higher end of your range most people aren't good for very many pulls. I had a reluctant 25 that dang near killed me. My teenage kid didn't even want to deal with it. I eventually sank it for a new motor that wanted to start quickly.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

My little 5hp pull start will kick back and pull the cord right out of your hand and put a nice red mark across your chest when IT decides to. Other times a light pull fires her right up. Not fun at all at times.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

silentneko wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 pm It's not, it's just a PITA every time you move spots. Especially on boats with large rear decks or poling platforms.
Did not think about that!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Chenier wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 pm Well, there's a bit of a difference between pulling on a 15 and pulling on a 30! I've been pull starting 15's since I was a kid and 50+ years later they're still no problem. Bigger engines demand a bit of respect. At the higher end of your range most people aren't good for very many pulls. I had a reluctant 25 that dang near killed me. My teenage kid didn't even want to deal with it. I eventually sank it for a new motor that wanted to start quickly.

I have alway be able to start my outboards (electric start) on the first try. I've seen so many people trying to pull starts at the ramp, over and over!

All of my small dink OB were pull start, always easy. Now that I'm getting older and tend to hold on to my money more (got cheap), I thought buying a pull start may not be a bad idea and save a $ 1000 or more!

So far sounds like an electric start is the way to go.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm My little 5hp pull start will kick back and pull the cord right out of your hand and put a nice red mark across your chest when IT decides to. Other times a light pull fires her right up. Not fun at all at times.

That sounds like my old walk behind mower. Now I have a riding lawn mower... Electric start...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Yeah! Even the mower I use to keep the grass mowed at the warehouse has electric start and self propelled. Was thinking of converting the outboard to electric start with the pull start as a back up. But with the use of more sensors to figure out where the motor is on it's cycles and fuel injection should reduce the risk of a backfire during start up. Older motors that fire cylinders every rotation should not matter to much the hp rating it's that miss fire that will get you! A lot of manufacturers have also started using decompression valves to make pull starting easier. But again, newer motors.

What sucks to is the fingers that come out to engage the pull start to the flywheel, once out a misfire causes the rope to be pulled back and that is what gets ya. If they would just use one way clutch bearings like automatic transmissions or even bait caster reels, would make pull starting a lot easier.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

Capt UB wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:58 amSo far sounds like an electric start is the way to go.
:lol: I think you know this is what you want :!: You're just trying to justify the additional expense :lol:

I have a 15, 20, and 25. The 25 has electric start and a rope. It pulls easy and starts good when the battery is dead or missing. The 15 pulls easy and starts good. The 20 starts good, but it often requires both hands to pull it :help: They are all 2 stroke and are older motors.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

TRC886 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:43 pm
Capt UB wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:58 amSo far sounds like an electric start is the way to go.
:lol: I think you know this is what you want :!: You're just trying to justify the additional expense :lol:

I have a 15, 20, and 25. The 25 has electric start and a rope. It pulls easy and starts good when the battery is dead or missing. The 15 pulls easy and starts good. The 20 starts good, but it often requires both hands to pull it :help: They are all 2 stroke and are older motors.
Thanks, 1980's or 90's?