Need input for selling price of OD18

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Need input for selling price of OD18

Post by Larry B »

Hi Guys,
Don't know if I can sell it yet, but thinking about it??? Just not using it much lately.
But would like some input on what you guys might think is a fair selling price?
It has about 350 hrs on it and runs like a top.
Build thread is: https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?t=20746
If anyone here on Bateau wanted it I'd give a good price and free delivery, I'm in Arizona but need to get to Texas to see my kids. And another 1000 miles or so is no big deal, I like road trips.
So any help and input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Need input for selling price of OD18

Post by Larry B »

Ok, so i get it, no one wants to give a value???
So I'm thinking somewhere in the $10,000.00 range?? Book value on motor is around $5000.00 and then about $5000.00 for hull and trailer?
Just looking for some input to see if I'm somewhere in the ballpark???
I won't be offended if it's lower or higher, just looking for some info here.
I just want to be fair.
Thanks in Advance,
Larry B

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Price is very subjective. We can get into the philosophical nature of ascribing value but it comes down to what your local market will bear.

I would think $5k is a bit much on a home built hull. I would look for similar size hulls in your local paper/craigslist and see what they are going for. Then factor in the "not a production boat" factor and see where you land. Locally, $10k may be right.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hi Larry,
I watched you build it right, it’s well worth 10k.
I’d ask 12k for starters...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

You could not buy mine for that!!!

I'm with Richard...start at $12K and see what you get as offers.

P.S. I have decided if I ever need to get rid of her I will give my boat to someone I care for and who will appreciate what it is before I discount the price and sell it to a stranger. I did not build it as an investment, and it has already paid for itself in what it has done for me between building it and using it all these years. There have been some really good stories of how boats here have changed hands to a new and appreciative owner, but there are other stories that break my heart knowing what the boat meant to the builder.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Better yet, START USING HER MORE!!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Larry,

For what it's worth I sold the GV15 for $14,000. Just have to know that it's gonna take the right person to recognize quality and not name brand. Mine sat for about a month with minimal movement. Then one day a guy called me, visited the house, checked out all of the pictures, and my build thread. We talked boats and life for a couple hours, and then he plopped the cash in my hand and drove away with her :cry: :cry: :cry:

He still sends me pictures of he and his grandson tearing up reds and trout in Beaufort, SC 8)

The way I described it to him, I have 10K in the motor, $1000 in the depth finder, $1000 in the trailer, $1200 in the trolling motor, and that meant he was getting the rest of the boat for just $800.

Will

Now i just need to find the time to build a bigger boat for the family :!:

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thrilled to be proven wrong!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input.

Capeman, I did think about just giving it to my grandsons but thats iffy if they would really appreciate it???

As far as using it more, the problem is I have a 24' pontoon boat that my wife really likes and seems that is what is getting used these days.

I'll give more thought into it as I don't really need to sell it.

Again, thanks for the input..

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I would treat it like a heirloom. Give it to the kid who spends the most time on it, then you know it will be looked after and valued.