Travel cradles

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Travel cradles

Post by Woods Designs »

Sorry for the delay. We are travelling in Mew Zealand right now. Last night spent at the S tip of S Island. Looking out at Southern Ocean and roaring 40s. Nothing until Antarctica. Sounds dramatic! Wind was 10 knots max. Waves 6in at best

Anyway. As you know we transported our Skoota 28 from Seattle to Texas on 6 transverse 6in x6in timbers ratchet strapped to a standard trailer pulled by a big pickup truck

In the uk we used scaffold poles to make an angled trailer similar to those powercats. But in our case they were about 40 35ft x20ft wide catamarans going 7 miles to the water down narrow Cornish lanes.

Neither answers your question. Just showing anything is possible.

For long term use I would make cradles in grp as wood ones will flex the joints too much over time

I do read emails daily. Its forums and FB etc that i struggle with when travelling

I will be back in US Dec5th and then sailing south from NC to somewhere warmer asap!

Richard Woods

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Travel cradles

Post by fallguy1000 »

Woods Designs wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:42 pm Sorry for the delay. We are travelling in Mew Zealand right now. Last night spent at the S tip of S Island. Looking out at Southern Ocean and roaring 40s. Nothing until Antarctica. Sounds dramatic! Wind was 10 knots max. Waves 6in at best

Anyway. As you know we transported our Skoota 28 from Seattle to Texas on 6 transverse 6in x6in timbers ratchet strapped to a standard trailer pulled by a big pickup truck

In the uk we used scaffold poles to make an angled trailer similar to those powercats. But in our case they were about 40 35ft x20ft wide catamarans going 7 miles to the water down narrow Cornish lanes.

Neither answers your question. Just showing anything is possible.

For long term use I would make cradles in grp as wood ones will flex the joints too much over time

I do read emails daily. Its forums and FB etc that i struggle with when travelling

I will be back in US Dec5th and then sailing south from NC to somewhere warmer asap!

Richard Woods
Actually, for the other forum folks, Richard Woods holds the title of Sir Richard from me. No, I am not the queen. I am the master of a thousand words in an email. If an instructor asked me for a 300 word essay; I giggled as 3000 was simple.

He has processed an endless stream of amateur hour emails from me over the course of the build. As some of you may know, the Skoota demountable is a prototype; the only one in the world as far as I know. She is a unique boat. And has required an enormous amount of communication about details a professional might infer.

I actually wanted to get input from forum members, rather than bothering Richard, who had a rotten outcome with his lovely boat on Abaco with Dorian.

Thank you Richard. I believe some frp cradles are in order.

As usual, some of the details are tricky.

Should I tie the cradles to the beam sockets?
Should the cradles be aligned to the beam sockets?
Should the two hulls be tied together on a semi? I have enough excess beam to do so.
How beefy? Do I actually need scantlings? Seems so.
Etc......

A unique boat.

Today I spoke with JC Marine Services and he has a trailer that can haul the entire boat. It is low enough that I do not need a removable windscreen. However, I migjt build it removable to deal with high winds of travel or sea.

Anyhow, thanks to all who have replied.

I still need the cradles to be strong enough for semi dynamics.

Regards.

Dan, aka fallguy.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495