Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Post by Netpackrat »

Probably double that before subtracting any time spent making the dies, but it’s been 20 years. Some of the Bearhawk builders made dies, seemed like most of us used the sticks. Now everyone buys the kit and they start out farther than I got when they open the box.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

2.5hrs last night.
Smaller end bearing router bits came in so cut out all the slat and flaperon blanks..
Cut out all the flaperon blanks individually which took most of the time then got impatient and stacked up all the slat blanks to cut at the same time. Not a good idea with cheap bearing bits... I promptly burned it up and blew up the bearing. Ill probably need to redo one or two of them as they weren't quite aligned in the stack and missing some of the edges..

Lesson learned,, all things in moderation. Maybe 3 or 4 stacked to save time but dont try to cut 10 blanks at once with cheap tools.

Still happy with the results though :)

Total time is up to 40hrs or a standard work week. As a hobby it feels like I have got a lot done, but if I was on the clock I might be ashamed to have so little to show......
It is a hobby though so all good :)
20201113_065122.jpg
20201113_065122.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

Total time spent building: 40 hours
Total Cost: $8276
Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5340
Tools, etc.. I will keep for future projects: $2936

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Again, really nice work Narfi!!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

2.5hrs got all the slat and flaperon ribs bent.
1hr yesterday got the wing nose rib forms and cutting templates ready, but while it was in the teens F° the wind was cutting through the tent pretty well and mechanics gloves just weren't enough :/ 5° this morning so progress may slow down a bit if my body goes into hibernation mode. Will see :)
20201114_175043.jpg
20201114_175043.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
Total time spent building: 43.5 hours

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very cool Narfi!!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

1hr was all my fingers could take of the cold last night, hot coffee and rum don't seem to help the toes and fingers much. Got the wing butt nose rib formers done. Picture includes the main nose rib I did Sunday, still need to grind the fluting in them but that's pretty quick.

Someone posted yesterday(not on this forum) stating I would spend 10s of thousands of dollars and never have a flying airplane. I wanted to quickly address that in saying that while someone should be aware of their limitations before starting a project like this, I took all precautions before beginning to ensure I was prepared to see the project through. I set myself a reasonable timeline 3yrs(which I currently have a hard time seeing how I can drag it out that long) and a commitment to plug away at it one bite at a time. It is fun for me, and even when it is painfully cold, I still want to be working on it and will push to put in that hour or two each day because I enjoy it and it is therapeutic for the mind and body to end a day with no stress, just focusing on a fun productive project.
20201117_070247.jpg
20201117_070247.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
Total time spent building: 44.5 hours

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

It's true that a lot of people start and never finish such projects, but that certainly doesn't mean that nobody finishes. Your progress is quick and I'd wager a $20 bill that you'll hit your timeline. Thanks for sharing.

Years back I started building a Corbin Junior Ace two seater and never finished it. In my defense, I had some kidney issues and lost my medical and it kinda defeated the purpose of building an airplane if I couldn't fly the damn thing.
Last edited by gstanfield on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

gstanfield wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:45 pm It's true that a lot of people start and never finish such projects, but that certainly doesn't mean that nobody finishes. Your progress is quick and I'd wager a $20 bill that you'll hit your timeline. Thanks for sharing.

Years back I started building a Corbin Junior Ace two seater and never finished it. In my defense, I had some kidney issues and lost me medical and it kinda defeated the purpose of building an airplane if I couldn't fly the damn thing.
I am currently healthy so not something I have researched much, but have you looked into the options of LSA and Basic Med?

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

narfi wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:29 pm
gstanfield wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:45 pm It's true that a lot of people start and never finish such projects, but that certainly doesn't mean that nobody finishes. Your progress is quick and I'd wager a $20 bill that you'll hit your timeline. Thanks for sharing.

Years back I started building a Corbin Junior Ace two seater and never finished it. In my defense, I had some kidney issues and lost my medical and it kinda defeated the purpose of building an airplane if I couldn't fly the damn thing.
I am currently healthy so not something I have researched much, but have you looked into the options of LSA and Basic Med?
That was twenty years ago and I was too broke to keep chasing it so I gave up. The kidneys turned out to be OK, but I had mentally moved on and gotten into motorcycles hard core so I really don't miss it much. I've given thought to building an ultralight or buying a PPC, but in all honesty I don't have the time, energy or funds to add another hobby to my life!
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

gstanfield wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:38 pm
That was twenty years ago and I was too broke to keep chasing it so I gave up. The kidneys turned out to be OK, but I had mentally moved on and gotten into motorcycles hard core so I really don't miss it much. I've given thought to building an ultralight or buying a PPC, but in all honesty I don't have the time, energy or funds to add another hobby to my life!
Glad you are doing well.
You are right we need to keep our hobbies within reason, and balanced with our life and budgeted with time and money. Too many and you cant fully enjoy any of them, something I think the person I mentioned does not fully grasp :) We have worked a lot over the last few years to really simplify our lives and that allows us to focus on higher value projects in life and hobbies.