Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Post by pee wee »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:58 pm
Fuzz wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:54 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:23 am

I knew you Alaskans were a tough lot but living in an outhouse is next-level commitment, hats off!
Did you see where a gal got bite on the butt while using the outhouse the other day? It was some where in SE Alaska.
I did see that and commented to my buddy who sent it "Used to be girls were just afraid of spiders lurking in outhouses, now it's GRIZZLIES!"
In this area of the country we have the brown recluse spider, also called the fiddleback, the bite packs a nasty punch and it likes to build a web under the seat of outhouses. For obvious reasons, men are much more likely to get bitten than women . . . ouch!
Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

pee wee wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:09 am In this area of the country we have the brown recluse spider, also called the fiddleback, the bite packs a nasty punch and it likes to build a web under the seat of outhouses. For obvious reasons, men are much more likely to get bitten than women . . . ouch!
Eesh.

Eesh!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

People being bitten by spiders and bears! Makes me feel like a wuss living here north of Boston. The worst we have to deal with ultra liberals who hate anyone but other ultra liberals.
Rover 1

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I have always considered myself conservative, but found out recently that I have one of the most 'liberal' views in our school district.

I am president of our LSAC (local school advisory committee) and now that all the adults in our village have been vaccinated and there have been no local cases for months we would like our children to stop having to wear masks in their (very small) classes.
We were told this is too liberal a view and wont be considered.

So there you have it, politics, covid, boats, planes, bears, and butt spiders and religion all in one place o.0

Religion? you didn't see that? what you missed is that the kids are all (legally) without masks outside of school all of the time, playing, visiting each other, church (see religion!) etc.... they all live within walking distance of each other and the roads are private so they can all drive Hondas and snow machines when they are too lazy to walk.

On a brighter note, I have been building some plane parts this week, will gather some pictures together for show and tell within the next few days.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Are you getting buried with snow over on your side of the mountain?

If everyone in your town has had the vaccine someone needs to slap the moron making the mask for kids call.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Yeah we have a few feet and several fresh inches this morning. Burnes more calories walking anywhere this way......

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

~8 hours over the last few days.
Built the rest of the rudder parts.
Tip rib, rear ribs and forward rib.
Going slow because they don't have the scratch built plans yet. Roger has been taking pictures of parts with the tape measure beside them. I'm sure he is getting tired of me calling :)

Last night I attached the ribs to the spar and everything looked good except the forward rib seemed too wide for where it attaches between rear ribs 2 and 3. It fit perfectly against rib 2 but after talking to Roger today my parts are the right demensions and it for sure goes a few inches further (narrower) up the spar. I will play with it tonight and probably just need to bend the flanges down a bit tighter.(I hope)

Then I will take it apart and put the spar doublers in place and the hinge brackets.
All of this is being done with a #40 drill bit for pilot holes and fitting. Once it's all cleaned up and fitted I am hoping Landon will want to do final drilling for size.

The skin is going to be interesting as there are no pre punched holes for aligning the ribs. But I think once I actually fit it together it won't be too big a deal to get lined up. I have the angles the ribs are supposed to sit from the spar.

Total time spent building: 77 hours
Total Cost: $8803
Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5867
Tools, etc.. I will keep for future projects: $2936

20210310_195412.jpg
20210310_195412.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 956 times
20210310_195344.jpg
20210310_195344.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 956 times
20210310_195331.jpg
20210310_195331.jpg (69.48 KiB) Viewed 956 times
20210307_191941.jpg
20210307_191941.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 956 times
20210306_164335.jpg
20210306_164335.jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 956 times

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very cool Narfi, I have been waiting for an update!!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

~6hrs
Bent the trailing edge skin.
Drew out the angles of all the ribs from the spar on a sheet of plywood with centerlines extending beyond the edges.
Layed out the skin on the drawing and drilled the trailing edge pilot hole for each rib.
Drew centerlines on all the ribs and inserted the skeleton into the skin.
With the spar and trailing edge blocked for jigging. Clamped the skin to the spar where I had marked it belonged and lined up the ribs till I could see the center lines through the pilot holes, drilled and clecoed.
Drilled a pilot hole in line with the rib centerlines at each intersection on the spar and then used a rivet spacer fan(not sure proper name) drilled along each rib all the pilot holes pitch 40 or less.
Flipped it, rejigged it, and did the same on the other side.
Using the river spacer drilled all the holes along the spar spaced evenly between all the ribs on both sides.
Made the lower splice plates and drilled and clecoed them in place. I bent my rear skin square with a full width 48" sheet and it ended up a little shorter than the plans, I'm guessing they bend at an angle to get a little longer or something. No big issue, my splice plates
just look a little different.
Removed the clecos where the lower forward fairing attaches and slid it between the skins and spar. Marked a line on each side so I would know how far to slide it in, then drilled through the pre existing akin holes and clecoed it in place.

Next up I need to form the leading edge and fit it. Then will drill all the holes to final size and clean it all up for priming and final assembly.
20210314_175417.jpg
20210314_175417.jpg (84.3 KiB) Viewed 920 times
20210314_175337.jpg
20210314_175337.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Total time spent building: 83 hours
Total Cost: $8803
Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5867
Tools, etc.. I will keep for future projects: $2936

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin