September Sally

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: September Sally

Post by BB Sig »

Heard from Kenfyoozed. He only had minor damage but is safe. :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jeff wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:23 am Good for her Wade. The Weather Channel is showing some really serious damage in both Alabama and Florida. Seems that a number of big boats (yachts) got loose and are now grounded!! Jeff
Is it me or do tons of boats get messed up every year? Seems like a good repair yard would be a heck of a business.
Glad to hear that so far our members have come through in decent shape.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fuzz, You are correct!! What I cannot figure out is why anyone thinks they can leave a big boat at the dock and just tie her down and think, "it will be fine" as it never works out well for anyone!!! If you can afford the size boats you see wrecked, you should be able to get the boat out of the area. We watched Sally for days!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jeff wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:24 pm Fuzz, You are correct!! What I cannot figure out is why anyone thinks they can leave a big boat at the dock and just tie her down and think, "it will be fine" as it never works out well for anyone!!! If you can afford the size boats you see wrecked, you should be able to get the boat out of the area. We watched Sally for days!!! Jeff
Jeff I guess they have insurance or something. You see it every time a hurricane comes a shore whether the gulf or east coast. :doh:
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I asked a similar question directly of the harbor master here post Matthew. His response was that there wasn't enough room to haul them out, and the rates to pay someone to move them were 10x above normal prices. I mentioned the lead time and he followed up with "all the captains were booked 3wks out. I think the problem is that not everyone that has the money to afford the purchase of a boat that size has the money or brains to maintain a boat that size.

That said, I do know of 2 boats lost to Mathew where the owners were in the hospital and the family wasn't competent to know "move the boat". There is that side of it as well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:40 pm I asked a similar question directly of the harbor master here post Matthew. His response was that there wasn't enough room to haul them out, and the rates to pay someone to move them were 10x above normal prices. I mentioned the lead time and he followed up with "all the captains were booked 3wks out. I think the problem is that not everyone that has the money to afford the purchase of a boat that size has the money or brains to maintain a boat that size.

That said, I do know of 2 boats lost to Mathew where the owners were in the hospital and the family wasn't competent to know "move the boat". There is that side of it as well.
I can understand the few cases where the owner was unable to care for the boat. Far too many seem to have the attitude that I have better things to do and it is insured :help: Might be an easy way to get paid off for the boat and get a new one :?: I do know that fall is here and winter is next. The river here will freeze over. You have a choice, pull the boat, move it to some place that will not freeze over, or lose it. Seems like hurricane season is known and comes ever year so there is not much excuse for leaving your boat in harms way.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not to be argumentative, but what is really "safe" from hurricanes on the east coast? Sandy hit NY.

That said, I do agree with you.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I guess my point is hurricanes are not like earthquakes. You can see them coming for a long time off. I would bet if all the boats were not insured and the owner needed it to earn a living a lot fewer of them would have been lost. Makes me think of folks building in a known flood plane and then crying when the house gets under water :doh:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I agree Fuzz!!! Jeff

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:55 pm I guess my point is hurricanes are not like earthquakes. You can see them coming for a long time off. I would bet if all the boats were not insured and the owner needed it to earn a living a lot fewer of them would have been lost. Makes me think of folks building in a known flood plane and then crying when the house gets under water :doh:
Kind of like why we keep New Orleans around... I don't agree with spending federal funds (my tax money) on rebuilding places that are going to flood again. :?

The boat part is a mystery to me as well. :doh: