Wood grab bar

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Wood grab bar

Post by TomW1 »

Beautiful work as always Richard! :D
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I was wondering how you glassed that thing more than anything. If wood gets wet; it likes to move. I habe a couple marine ply things no glass on my skiff and they are opening up on edges. I wonder if you could have made it with 3/4" coosa... Obviously, not as stiff, so maybe more carbon.

I wondered about making grab bars with composite...so thinking out loud; not criticizing.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:55 pm I was wondering how you glassed that thing more than anything. If wood gets wet; it likes to move. I habe a couple marine ply things no glass on my skiff and they are opening up on edges. I wonder if you could have made it with 3/4" coosa... Obviously, not as stiff, so maybe more carbon.

I wondered about making grab bars with composite...so thinking out loud; not criticizing.
You could for sure use coosa but I didn’t have any.
I’ve seen guys use all sorts of cores for poling platform frames, grab bars etc.
Pool noodles, pvc pipe, foam and wood. I personally don’t care for the bulky look of a laminated pool noodle.
I did some pondering for sure before settling on meranti.
I probably have over 18 coats of epoxy and clear coat on top of the carbon fiber. It’s never going to see a drop of water.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

gonandkarl wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 am Hi Richard,
I have seen it before but never so well documented from scratch. You know I build a grab bar for my FS13 which looks ugly as sin. But this post of You made me decide what to do this coming Winter and hopefully I can get near your perfect grab bar. I will give it even a separate name to the boats name Tarpon you remember what be both have seen on the Homosassa river.
Greetings from Karl
Thanks Karl. :D I’ll have to watch for your grab bar project.
That was a relaxing ride up the river for sure! It’s a bonus when you get to see a 50kg plus tarpon as well!
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146