Trolling for spanish mackerel

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Trolling for spanish mackerel

Post by Jaysen »

Apparently I've done something right... Mrs looked at me and said "you should take Lil Bit and go fishing today, then you can shrimp and work on computer stuff later". I looked around for the hidden cameras. I still not sure this isn't a set up.

The last couple weeks I've been get progressively larger Spanish mackerel in my cast net. I'm thinking trolling a spoon or something along the channel drop off would likely get me a few. Problem is that I've never really fished for anything other than reds, flounder and trout. I'm hoping you all can send me in the right direction...

Remember, I prefer live bait because ... I just do.

Sardines with a 1/0 circle on wire
The sardines (greenbacks) are like flees on a dog right now (hence the mackerel). I figure I can toss a 6 or 10 net and get enough for a month of trolling. I have 1/0 circles that are just about right to keep them alive while I drag them behind LIl Bit for a bit. I've recently started making hooks on wire for some folks so I'd just wire them with 35lb and call it done.

Shrimp/sardine on 4/0 with 50lb mono
I can also just drift some larger shrimp or sardines on a 4/0. I'm not keen on drift Lil Bit as the wind will tend to take us toward the docks. I would row way up wind/current (leave sail at home to reduce wind profile). Not sure how I feel about live lining a sardine. Never done that, but... why not? I typically use 50lb mono for this one as most things that I want won't bite through it but it holds up to oysters well.

Go buy something and drag it on 35'b wire
I've dragged spoons with no luck down here (motorboats). I'm willing to try it again. Just not sure what to get. one old guy looked at me and said "get some aluminum foil and cut a hole in it and put it on your hook... they are stupid fish". Given the dirty water and the availability of bait (and bucks overwhelming success at getting food out of that water) I'm willing to try. On the other hand, I would like to have other options. What "should" I be using to catch these suckers and make them get in my boat?

Thanks all.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Trolling for spanish mackerel

Post by cape man »

Clarke spoons are my go to for trolling for macks.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Any particular size/color?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:36 am Any particular size/color?
The small ones — they should match the length of the small silversides. Also, you need to be pulling them at 6-7 MPH otherwise you just get small blues.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

cape man wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 am Clarke spoons are my go to for trolling for macks.
Does anyone have a source for replacement hooks? The ones that come standard are quite brittle and I now have several spoons with no hooks.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BrianC wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:09 am
Jaysen wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:36 am Any particular size/color?
The small ones — they should match the length of the small silversides. Also, you need to be pulling them at 6-7 MPH otherwise you just get small blues.
The wind is brisk but Lil Bit won’t make much over 3 if I’m not focused on sailing fast.

Called around. No one has anything on stock. Looking like I’ll try the foil trick and/or some sardines. Worst case... sailing!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have no clue for mackeral, but I have made amendments with prismatic duct tape and it catches fish.

You can tape the tape to itself and I always keep a bunch onboard for livebait imitations.

https://www.amazon.com/Holographic-Adhe ... ljaz10cnVl

Tape the tape to itself and scissors cut a shape of a minnow and hole it and hook it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm far from expert 'cuz I've only gotten into them a few times. When I did, I think they'd hit any shiny thing thrown at 'em. In a power boat I'd drift and throw spoons or whatever down wind, 'cuz it's easy to power up and run back upwind after a drift. With sail, I see how trolling makes sense. Two rods, one with a spoon and one with bait and see?

Dougster

cape man

Post by cape man »

I found some long shank 4.0 straight J hooks at squallmart that work well on the 3" Clark's. Mustad.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well, that was a bust. 15mph stead winds with gusts to 30. Made for spirited sailing but not so much fishing. Because the wind and current were all going south, I could not make headway north (took 60min on a single tack to make 1/4mi with beam wind... I need to get a water speed gauge) so called it. Took me 3min to get "close to dock" then after 20min of not being able to maneuver thanks to the shadow of the pier head, I de-masted myself underway then rowed back to launch. The minute I dumped my bait the damn mackerel busted on a ball right where I had been rowing.

Some day I wonder if God is bored and I'm the ant he finds first.