Trolling for spanish mackerel

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Trolling for spanish mackerel

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:20 pm Well, that was a bust. 15mph stead winds with gusts to 30. Made for spirited sailing but not so much fishing. Because the wind and current were all going south, I could not make headway north (took 60min on a single tack to make 1/4mi with beam wind... I need to get a water speed gauge) so called it. Took me 3min to get "close to dock" then after 20min of not being able to maneuver thanks to the shadow of the pier head, I de-masted myself underway then rowed back to launch. The minute I dumped my bait the damn mackerel busted on a ball right where I had been rowing.

Some day I wonder if God is bored and I'm the ant he finds first.
My experience is fish nose to current. Bait has more time in their face. Course, you gotta get back to port.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

If they're busting a bait ball, anything shiny. Getting back to port, well...yes.

Says here's to getting home Dougster

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:20 pm Well, that was a bust. 15mph stead winds with gusts to 30. Made for spirited sailing but not so much fishing. Because the wind and current were all going south, I could not make headway north (took 60min on a single tack to make 1/4mi with beam wind... I need to get a water speed gauge) so called it. Took me 3min to get "close to dock" then after 20min of not being able to maneuver thanks to the shadow of the pier head, I de-masted myself underway then rowed back to launch. The minute I dumped my bait the damn mackerel busted on a ball right where I had been rowing.

Some day I wonder if God is bored and I'm the ant he finds first.
When I was planning the catamaran, sailing was considered, the boat could go anywhere on no fuel! But I would be limited on fishing, so engines won. No kicker?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fg1k, Lil Bit’s kicker is the pair of oars. A 12’ dinghy is much different than say a 16’ stay sailer. I just got caught in the “acceptable compromises” zone. That and the tides were a bit higher than normal resulting it fast water.

Really not a problem with Lil Bit. More a reminder to me about paying attention to all the factors of the day.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:32 am Fg1k, Lil Bit’s kicker is the pair of oars. A 12’ dinghy is much different than say a 16’ stay sailer. I just got caught in the “acceptable compromises” zone. That and the tides were a bit higher than normal resulting it fast water.

Really not a problem with Lil Bit. More a reminder to me about paying attention to all the factors of the day.
Ah. I know tides also affect fishing. But not sure how so well since we do not worry about them here.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

With around 30 foot of tide they tend to control our boating life. At times you can not get a 16oz lead sinker to bottom when halibut fishing. Salmon are far more active with big tides also.