Mercury's newest motor

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Mercury's newest motor

Post by TomW1 »

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mercury's newest motor

Post by Jeff »

Wow!!! A V12 Merc!!!! 600 HP!!!!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

And did you see the price? $77,000 8O :help:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There’s a reason high cylinder motors aren’t used in normal vehicles. It seems to me we are going backwards on efficiency and maintainability with these motors.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Will this work on an FS13? Asking for a friend... :roll:

Seems excessive... When is BBC getting the plans for a boat designed around two of these? :lol:

Disclaimer: This is all in jest. :wink:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The more cylinders the smoother the engine to me at least. I love the sound of a hard running 12-71 DD.
That being said Jaysens point is a good one. The more moving parts the more things there are to fail.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:05 pm The more cylinders the smoother the engine to me at least. I love the sound of a hard running 12-71 DD.
That being said Jaysens point is a good one. The more moving parts the more things there are to fail.
And very little is legally user serviceable anymore. This is a bad omen.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Boat engines are going the way of autos. Once you buy a brand you are committed to them for as long as you own it.
JohnDeere makes some wonderful marine diesels. Problem with them is the software needed to do a lot of service on them. They will not sell the software so to service the engine you have to have one of their techs come to the boat and pay any charge they feel like charging on that day. No way I would willingly put myself in that position no matter how good the product might be.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mercury has been like that. E-Tech anyone? Every single one of them down here depends on the one guy with an authorized reader. Took Adam 4 weeks to get into a shop to check codes on the one with his "new to him" boat. God never patented wind so us blow boat types may actually be winning this game for once.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

At least E-tecs have a longer dealer service interval. If you can do gear lube and keep the oil up, there's not much call for a dealer in between. The software has third party versions these days as well, so independents can do a lot of services.

I'd still prefer an expert, which is more likely to be the licensed dealer.