Windscreen

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Windscreen

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have to build a windscreen. I designed some glassed plywood cleats to hold it.

I am realizing the windscreen alone won't block the wind too well, so need a full enclosure. But moving to Texas, the enclosure will be punishment in the heat.

A hardtop is planned. I am only trying to design the windscreen. The front is easy. The sides are really tricky because I am realizing they won't block the wind too well. And the ones that block the wind look dumb and only allow an inch clearance to the wheel.

Among my options are these three. A fourth option is to make the windscreen wider than the existing cleat. This changes the plan a lot, but might be cleaner lines.

The shapes are super complex. Was gonna build in aluminum, but now wondering about solid glass. I could make the windscreen in wood and cover it in ship tape and lay glass strips all over to make a female mould and then use the mold to make the final windscreen...but yuk eh?

Opinions welcomed.
64B8406D-984E-4097-B0E3-D966D1AC759C.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Windscreen

Post by narfi »

If you plan a hard top, why not a windscreen full width and have it double as support for the hard top? Would look a lot cleaner than an offset windscreen imo..... but maybe I am missing something?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

narfi wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 am If you plan a hard top, why not a windscreen full width and have it double as support for the hard top? Would look a lot cleaner than an offset windscreen imo..... but maybe I am missing something?
Just so damned big at 8' wide and 30" of glass and cost a fortune.

Then the hardtop at say 60" deep is 8'x5' and also big and heavy and sort of excessive ans covers half the cockpit only. Might need a middle support as well.

The cockpit is like 90" deep by 14' 6". A full hardtop is friggin massive.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Maybe I just need lotsa zipper doors on the eisenglas and eisenglas is a must have then..

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

If you don't mind scripted reality and lots of tequila shots, this guy built a pretty nice hardtop which I believe was relatively light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RPaxTwvCXg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

narfi wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:35 am If you don't mind scripted reality and lots of tequila shots, this guy built a pretty nice hardtop which I believe was relatively light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RPaxTwvCXg
I am leaning option A. The aluminum guy will let me fab the complex bits and then he'll come here and tack it up.

Way easier than fiberglass. Probably like a week less time to build.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Are A-B-C three different side panel shapes? Based on the rest of the geometry I don't think any of them would actually block any additional wind to the helmsman.

Having a hard time picturing the rest of the arrangement, but I think you want something much wider than that.

I think I'd be looking at thermo-forming a Lexan sheet of whatever height, and trim to fit the contour of your cabin top.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fallguy I have been looking at this and looking at this. Your basic needs are to build the windscreen for the helmsman.
1. Tall enough and angled enough to direct the wind over the helms man.
2. H side wing to direct the wind away from the helms man.

You don't need to make it 8' wide you only need to make it wide enough to cover the helm area. Some thing like this, though this is for a bass boat. https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/boat- ... -inch-wide It directs air over the the driver and the wings around him. You don't need to reinvent the wheel there are lots of examples out there on the web that can help you. But the best for you may be just a simple frame that supports what ever glass or plexi you decide on. You can even put wipers on the main windshield.

Well I hope this helps a little bit.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm cutting option A in aluminum.

Gonna get what I get.

I might buy a small venting window and cut it into the lexan.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I cutout the sides in 1/4" aluminum with a skilsaw. Man is that loud.