Recommend a sander

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Recommend a sander

Post by Matt Gent »

I've been using a 5" Dewalt random orbital sander - hook & loop. It was a wedding gift in a past life, lasted about 15 years of occasional use. The switch got wonky a couple years ago, and it finally died the same day that the dust catch didn't want to hang on any more.

The harbor freight angle grinder I bought about the same time is still going strong...figured the dust would kill it a long time ago but its still ticking.

So what is your favorite sander? I'm not opposed to spending some money for good tools. I have shop air available but would rather have an electric one, at least for now, working away from the garage.

Usage is mostly what we do here: sanding and fairing wood & epoxy/glass structures. Don't have any big builds in the near future but do have repair work and a few small boats in work now.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Recommend a sander

Post by fallguy1000 »

Festool RTS400....I have two, repaired one twice. I spent 3000 or so on sanding and sanding gear. I have an air sander da, but my air is not dry enough to use it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Over the years I have used many different sanders. It depends on what you are using them for. If you are trying to eat one inch of glass a grinder with a 16grit zec disk is the thing. Other end would be a palm sander. Also depends on your budget. A few years ago I sprang for a Festool set up with the vac system. After the pain in the wallet went away the Festool brings a smile to my face every time I use it. Beware Festool is crack for boat builders :lol: For many years a 7 inch Black and Decker 0-3000 rpm polisher with 3M greencorp 36 grit disks was my go to tool. The grinder types move material much faster but throw dust all over. The Festool is slower but keeps the dust under control.
The next time I have something big enough to justify it I am going to give fishgitr's sander trick a try.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

I like my Ridgid random orbit sander from the orange big block store. Not that expensive and still going strong.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Looks like a common failure on the Dewalt. Not sure I want to make the effort to fix it
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/DeWalt+D26 ... ment/57707

I have 4-1/2 and 7" angle grinders for gross removal. Looking for a sander. Budget is open, if its a lifetime tool.

Looks like the Festool ETS 150/5 is their 6" disk model. RTS400 for quarter-sheet; less powerful but $100 less. They sure have a lot of options...

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

I'm rocking the 5" Dewalt RO corded and it works really well for the $50-$60 i spent on it 5 years ago and shows no signs of slowing down. But as soon as i can justify it i am going to spring for the Festool Rotex - 6". It is a beast with two modes, fixed / RO. Coupled with the nice Festool vacuum and anti-static vacuum hoses and you will be set for life.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have the 5 inch 125 to go with the 150. It is smaller, lighter and less aggressive. Also it is the least expensive of all the sanders. I find I use it more than the 150 but it is not a replacement for the 150, not even close.

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

I've been using a Bosch 5-inch ROS with great success (ROS20VSC). It does the job. Hooked up to a shop vac there is no dust flying around the shop. It leaves some dust on the surface - you still have to vacuum the boat & wipe it down with denatured alcohol. Overall I've been pleased with it.

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

I have a festool 150 as well. Excellent dust collection. I bought it mainly to use the rotary function and still have the good dust collection. Great for more aggressive removal. Switching back to ro mode and it is really good for that as well. Used it this winter for building some cabinets and worked great on making some of my questionable joints look better. Three drawbacks to the unit are the special sanding disks you need for the dust control, the unit is relatively heavy to work with, and the price. I bought the sander when I was about halfway through the sanding on my boat and it worked out well, although I still used my dewalt 5" ro sander in tighter spots. Surprisingly the dewalt is still alive although the switch is occasionally giving a problem.
Doug